Thread: Lucky day on the water

Default Lucky day on the water

Aloha, this is an ono, notice the razor sharp overlapping teeth. Notice the hook in the corner, and the flurocarbon leader. No way I should have caught this fish. But the story is even more wild. I hooked this fish on an opelu while fishing for mahi. It shot out of the water and took off, but I thought it was an ahi scared of the sharks harassing us. It ran and then cam back to the boat, but ran under the prop and the line got stuck. My friend's son was going to jump in a and try and shoot a big mahi we saw swimming around. I told him to shoot the ono. He jumps in and shoots a bigger 50lb ono that tows him away. I am just dumb founded. My friend gets on the swim step next to the engine and tries to untangle it. Then the ono floats up and we gaff it. Then we check on his son. A big bronze whaler shark ate the 50lb ono and scared the shit out of my friend's son. I would never have let him jump in the water.

We got 5 mahi. I got this one on my new travel trolling rod I am going to take to baja.

We were very lucky and caught a bunch of fish. If you have ever caught an ono on light tackle it is a treat. As is the ono I am eating right now for lunch. Hope you all have good luck fishing, Mems.
    Don Memmer

Mems,

Great story.

I will be leaving in 6 weeks for another Month in Loreto and will be writing lots of my own stories, however I loved yours

Carl Blackledge

Default Wahooooo....!!

Aloha Don,.... I'll bet your friends son had to clean out his swimsuit after being towed by the shark. You really had a good day. Amazing how Wahoo bite thru most leaders and, yet, you caught that one without wire.... Forgot to mention that my fishing partner caught two Wahoo within a week on bait and without a wire leader. So, I guess it's just a case of luck of the draw, as it was for my partner.
    Last edited by Darian; 04-30-2019 at 06:52 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Mems,

How did you post the pictures....I am having problems posting them, looks like everybody else is too.

Cb

I use IMGUR hosting gave up on photobucket.
    Don Memmer

Hey Mems,
    I'm leaving in two days for Baja. The guys are catching a lot of roosters. A couple days ago, they boated one around 70lbs and a few others that were pretty decent. A few wahoo. I have a wahoo rig with 60lb and 500yds of 50lb braid. I hope we get shots at some shallow Ono. Two weeks ago they saw a few schools that were right on the surface. One guy got one on a 10wt.
    Some of the hot flys are the papagallo and wiggy air heads. Lots of bait and they are big. I'll keep you posted on the fishing