Thread: Echo shadow II

Default Echo shadow II

Hey all, I recently posted about looking for a guide for high sticking.

Well, now I'm wondering about the versatility of the rod I purchased for said high sticking.
    So I picked up a used Echo Shadow II 4wt 10'6" rod.

I was looking for peoples thoughts about it as a to its versatility as a Stillwater rod it any other found uses in general. And whither that thoughts and or experiences with different line configurations for such cross over uses.

Just to be clear I haven't yet fished or cast it yet.............shame on me��

Thanks
    J Ice

Quote Originally Posted by ICE View Post

Well, now I'm wondering about the versatility of the rod I purchased for said high sticking.

I was looking for peoples thoughts about it as a to its versatility as a Stillwater rod it any other found uses in general. And whither that thoughts and or experiences with different line configurations for such cross over uses.

Thanks
    J Ice
    I have the same rod and use it for all my trout nymphing not just high stick/tight line. The extra length helps with big mends. It’s also not bad out of a float tube or pontoon on lakes. I fish a 5wt Rio Grand on mine.

Thanks for the feedback. I might just try it tubing this weekend.

Ice

Quote Originally Posted by ICE View Post

Thanks
    J Ice
    I have the same rod with the competition kit, which is nice to balance out the outfit and extend it out to 11.5 feet (great for reaching out even further in the pocket water on the canyon section off the Truckee River). Besides tight line nymphing, the Shadow II excels at dry fly fishing. The soft tip helps protect delicate tippets, but one must slow down their casting stroke to achieve maximum casting performance (think glass or bamboo). How you noticed how the rod wobbles after flexing it? Well, Echo has eliminated that with their new and improved Shadow II X.

As for stillwater, that is not the rod I would want to use. You could use it if you made short casts from the tube then back paddled away from your presentation while paying out line. For stillwater you want a rod that loads quickly, is smooth and powerful, has good accuracy, and can cast a long distance. I currently use a Sage 7wt. XP, and the Redington Crux 6 wt. for such endeavors. - J.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.