Thread: Interesting regulation on leader length - your thoughts?

Default Interesting regulation on leader length - your thoughts?

So while reviewing the 2019-2020 Inland Fishing regulations I came across this reg regarding leader length...

2.05. LEADER LENGTH RESTRICTION.
    It shall be unlawful to use any configuration of fishing tackle in anadromous waters unless the distance between the terminal hook or terminal lure and any weight attached to the line or leader, whether fixed or sliding, is less than six feet. For purposes of this section, “weight” includes any product used to submerge the line or leader, including non-buoyant artificial flies or artificial lures, but does not include integrated or sinking fly fishing lines, lead core lines used while trolling from a boat, dropper weights used while trolling from a boat, or clipped weights used with downrigger systems.

My thoughts when reading this is that split shot cannot be used within 6' of your fly. This includes using two flies with one being a weighted fly.

Am I wrong or does this mean that in anadromous waters (like the lower Sac) we can no longer fish a typical two fly nymphing set up or indicator setup unless the flies or the fly and the split shot are at least 6' apart.

I guess you could tie some lead core inline with the leader and a tippet section with two unweighted flies below that.

Regards,

Tim C.
    Last edited by tcorfey; 04-21-2019 at 11:29 AM.

Tim C,

In the past I have seen all kinds of different wording by the DFG. The best advice I can tell you is call the local Game warden an ask him, after all he's the guy who will be writing the ticket...And sometimes between the different game wardens they view the law s differently, so the local guy is the guy I would be betting on-My 2 cents

Carl Blackledge

Tim,
    It would be great if the DFG folks would copy a few of the ideas used by organizations like the
    NCAA. If you look at a copy of the NCAA Official Rules of Basketball, say, often following a rule,
    you'll see various interpretations of that rule. These might be a "play," and then how the rule
    affects that play. BTW, don't you mean "split shot further than 6' of your fly?" Maybe, I'm
    wrong.
    Best,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

Default Legal Leader Length....??

Hmmm,.... Lets look at the first sentence of the Reg., and underline the applicable verbiage:

"It shall be unlawful to use any configuration of fishing tackle in anadromous waters unless the distance between the terminal hook or terminal lure and any weight attached to the line or leader, whether fixed or sliding, is less than six feet." I read this to mean the distance between the two should be less than six feet, not greater.

I believe this regulation came about in response to the practice of Salmon/Steelhead fishers of using beads on leaders that were anywhere from 12' to 18' below a sinker. So, in adopting the reg., DFW is attempting to stop the practice known as flossing.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian,

I think you are correct. I think I read it wrong. I thought I was reading it wrong but, no matter how many times I read it I was still caught up on the cannot be "less than 6 feet".

Perhaps the reg should have been written as "the distance must be six feet or less". Instead of "Unless" than a bunch of verbiage and then "is less than six feet".

Glad I asked a second opinion.

Regards,

Tim C.

Quote Originally Posted by tcorfey View Post
    Darian,

I think you are correct. I think I read it wrong. I thought I was reading it wrong but, no matter how many times I read it I was still caught up on the cannot be "less than 6 feet".

Perhaps the reg should have been written as "the distance must be six feet or less". Instead of "Unless" than a bunch of verbiage and then "is less than six feet".

Glad I asked a second opinion.

Regards,

Tim C.
    Where are you getting "cannot" from the regs? To shorten their words (in my opinion):
    It's unlawful to use anything unless the hook to sinker is less than 6 feet.
    Of course it would be easier to digest the rule if they say
    It's unlawful to use anything where hook to sinker is greater than 6 feet.

Change the unless to where and maybe you can make better sense of this rather unruly attempt at a regulation.