Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2019 AR Shad Reports

Jeff C. I see you are using Hard as Nails to coat your new Firecracker Fly (I already bought all the fly material from Kiene's and can't wait to try them). I was wondering if you coat the Bloody Maria body with Hard as Nails too (I am currently just using head cement).

P.S. And thank you again for sharing your Bloody Maria all those years ago. It has been my go to fly for Shad on the American for 5+ years.
    Tight Lines

Quote Originally Posted by winxp_man View Post
    Jeff and I are running size 10 TMC 2457 hooks. Can’t go wrong with it.
    Thanks Aron......

Did you know that the TMC 2457 is the best selling hook for Kiene's.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

The original recipe for the Bloody Maria calls for a top coat of Hard as Nails and you’re welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    The original recipe for the Bloody Maria calls for a top coat of Hard as Nails and you’re welcome!
    Thanks for the quick response! Going to coat them all now.
    Tight Lines

When scouting on the Yuba with Andy yesterday. We marked and fished some great runs and saw some bigs pods of shad. Fished this morning and evening and it was work but got into double digits. The usual flies (Maria, Firecracker and Ronald McDonald) worked with a Type 8 sink tip.

Jeff, do you track water temperature throughout your annual shad season? I assume this year is a bit colder on average. Does that seem to be having an effect on the run timing? Thanks. Katz
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"

I do track water temps, flow rate and river depth. Last year the flows were a lot lower (1800-2000 cfs) but the water was just about as cold (54 deg) and they showed up early May with big hens right off the bat. According to Peter Moyle they enter the river when the water temp is 57 degrees so go figure!

Fished this morning and it was pretty good. Caught shad on both the Maria and the Firecracker. Went back out in the evening and I was blown away by the number of boats concentrated in one area. Fishing was slower but still got into double digits with the same flies.

Fished this morning and this evening. It wasn’t red hot but there were shad to be caught if you put in work. Caught a lot of fish on the Maria but the Firecracker got about 75% of the fish I landed. Used a ARC 5125 GFR today with a Scandi body head and a 7 ips poly leader. Lots to boats this evening but not as bad as last night.

Fished this morning and got into double digits using the Firecracker. Went back this evening and it was packed. There were 20 anglers in the stretch I was fishing and 7 boats (mostly jets). Only got single digits but I made my goal for the day and went home early. I think I’ll skip fishing tomorrow evening!