Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2019 AR Shad Reports

Ran around yesterday on the lower river and got 15. Flows are perfect right now. They are not holding in every spot you may have caught them in the past. Need to move around until you find them. As soon at the sun dipped behind the trees the bite shut off.

Erik B

When the water is colder than a fish likes to be in the bite is better mid-day as the sun warms the water.

Usually, fishing early and late in the day is not very good if the water is too cold.

In June as the water flow comes down and the warms up, early and late can be very good.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Edawg, One 19 inches wild and another 13 inch Hatchery fish that made my Hardy quack like a duck!

Or sing like an angel. ��

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    Edawg, One 19 inches wild and another 13 inch Hatchery fish that made my Hardy quack like a duck!
    Ooooh, a wild one...nice Jeff! Seems you always get a handful of half pounders during your shad
    outings. Who would think they'd hit a shad fly. Nice job Jeff.

Eric

No updates for the past couple of days because I’ve been too busy fishing. Yesterday Andy and I went up the Yuba to do some scouting in his jet Lowe. I broke a rod and Andy lost a IShort head but we got a dozen shad and found some great runs. Today I did a long float with Mike Folden and we found a bunch of shad in this one mid river run. Mikey Koh was hammering them with clients using a Ronald McDonald. Andy came down after we floated down river and got about 40. Andy is the man if you want to catch some shad on the fly.

Captain Andy Guibord will be guiding Shad and Stripers now so if you really want to catch something give Andy a call.

June is usually the top month for Shad so get a day with Andy on the calendar.

https://andyguibord.wordpress.com/guiding-instruction/
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Fished a couple of mid river spots today. Got blanked at the first one and found a bucket at the second and got into double digits with several medium sized hens. Type 8 sink tip and Bloody Maria with a Firecracker dropper. All except 3 were caught on the Firecracker!

Got into double digits today with the same flies. I saw Andy in his boat with another guy and they were hooking shad.

Fished this morning before the fllow when up. Got into double digits within the first hour but as soon as the river started rising the bite turned off. Flow changes really affect shad and they will take a day or two to settle down. They might even vacate the area to find somewhere else that they like. Type 8 tips aren’t cutting it so I’m going to T-14.