Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2019 AR Shad Reports

Great to see that you got your dad to get out Peter. It’s to bad that the flow was so high!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    Great to see that you got your dad to get out Peter. It’s to bad that the flow was so high!
    Thanks. We will have to give it a try when the flows get lower. I imagine we will run into you then too lol.

Took a fellow fly fishing friend out today. The flows and level of the water was crazy high. The Sailor Bar ramp to launch was level with the river. The back bay had current running through it. We saw fish but they were really spread out. Didn’t get double digits but close��

Wet waded today so it didn’t matter if I went in. Wading is still scary in the faster water. Got into double digits but it was definitely work to do so. Did land the biggest hen I’ve caught this run that was between 4-5 lbs. Hooked another fish that ran like a steelhead and almost put me to my backing. My Hardy Taupo wasn’t just quacking, it was screaming! It popped off when it ran to a snag. My heart was racing!

I use to like the flow under 3,000 cfs for nice wading but I guess it is probably more like 5,000 cfs today?

Right now it is 13,200 cfs.....yahoo.

Kiene's Fly Shop has a Shad Derby this year.

Prize for men, women and youngster.

I think it is $20 and all you do is measure the longest length of the fish.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill, I like 3000-8000 cfs to wade for shad. Above those flows wading gets tougher and spots are limited.

Fished during the day at a couple of spots and it was pretty slow. Dropped a small fly box containing 25-30 of my favorite shad flies at the first spot but didn’t realize that it was missing until I got to the second spot. Went back to the first spot and found the box not on the ground where my sling pack was located but in the river! I was relieved because it took serval hours of tying to make those flies. Went back out this evening and it was a little better getting into double digits using the Firecracker!
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 06-07-2019 at 07:06 AM.

Just got back from the graduation of a friend’s daughter in Gardnerville, NV. We came back on 88, tons of snow in the Carson drainage, Iron Mtn Road is still snowed in. Caples Lake is still iced over except for a few feet in around the edge. We have a lacrosse tourney this weekend in Petaluma, otherwise I’d likely head there -there have got to be a ton of hungry fish cruising the edge of the ice!

Doubt the flows here will drop soon, though.

Fished this afternoon in my mini drifter and it was tough to find a fish. Andy went upriver with his clients and immediate got into shad. I rowed upriver and started picking up fish here and there. I moved down and found a bucket and got into double digits all on the Firecracker! I went home when the flow started going up. Wading is going to just about impossible. If you do try be safe, wear a pdf!

Just talked to Earle Sloan and he told me that there were 6 boats (5 of the 6 gear guys) in his favorite hold named after his late dog Daisy. He packed up and went home! I don’t think I’ll fishing Friday evening!
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 06-07-2019 at 08:37 PM.