Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2019 AR Shad Reports

TyV, PM me you’re email address and I’ll send you the recipe and a pic.

I got 5 before being swarmed by bobber guys at 7 am. All were caught on the Firecracker. Once the bobber guys showed up the shad stopped biting and I didn't see any of them hook up. I think I'm done with that area!

Here’s the recipe for the Firecracker;

Hook: TMC 2457 Size 10

Bead: 3.2 mm red metallic bead

Tail: 64 strands of UV minnow belly (4 strands folded over and cut 4 times)
    2 strands of small pearl flashabou
    Final length 3/8 in.

Body: Gold holographic tinsel

Rib: Red BR wire

Head: Red Danville Flymaster+ (tie partial up on the bead)

Coat body and thread head with Hard as Nails

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    I got 5 before being swarmed by bobber guys at 7 am. All were caught on the Firecracker. Once the bobber guys showed up the shad stopped biting and I didn't see any of them hook up. I think I'm done with that area!
    It is definitely interesting how the conventional gear guys haven’t been having much luck even that early in the morning. I remember at the tail end of the Shad season last year when we were fishing the upper stretches, the bobbers didn’t seem to mind the fish that much. Maybe the Shad are spookier early in the season.

There weren’t as many shad in the hole that I’ve been fishing this morning and the bobbers make too much noise when they splash down and when they are reeled in.

Fished a couple of mid river spots and one upper river spot and only had one LDR in a Maria down lower. Saw Garret Smith who was floating and he got a couple mid river. I’d fish lower in the river right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Pvillarr View Post
    It is definitely interesting how the conventional gear guys haven’t been having much luck even that early in the morning. I remember at the tail end of the Shad season last year when we were fishing the upper stretches, the bobbers didn’t seem to mind the fish that much. Maybe the Shad are spookier early in the season.
    The issue is the damn bobbers have a 1-2oz sinker built in. And they make crazy noise in the water. It does not take much at all to scare shad away! Shadows, noise, and so on. What they fish do is move up or further down. Sucks and it’s life. I told a few of these bright people what happens and they think it’s a joke. You can fish and catch them with a drift technique. Light gear is needed. I mean using conventional gear. And not create crazy grenade splashes! It’s why I started a couple years back calling them grenade launchers hahaha!

But when they do line in up in a line the fish will move that’s a given.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Fished 4 mid river spots yesterday and didn’t get a bump. Saw lots of anglers out trying but not much catching. Ran into Don Morris (the UPS Guy) in his canoe and he told me he saw some small pods as he was paddling upriver. Garret Smith saw a couple of bigger schools on a float yesterday. Still nothing in the upper river and no one was fishing except for me. You don’t know if you don’t go!

Went on a float today Earle and we caught a couple of halfpounders swinging. No shad caught be we did see saw a pod of small males moving up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    Went on a float today Earle and we caught a couple of halfpounders swinging. No shad caught be we did see saw a pod of small males moving up.
    How big were the half pounders Jeff? Good battles?

Eric