Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chetco River

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Blackledge View Post
    The whole DFG is laughable- The smith should have been catch and release for the past 20 years. Soon as it catch and release there go the meat packers......Thank God for the Klamath and their special 3 year return fish for the meat hunters.

Carl Blackledge
    Meat eaters? You don’t eat fish? If it’s done legally and based on sustainability there’s nothing wrong with harvesting wild meat. Maybe you should look into commercial ocean harvesting and their regs. There is no bias to what run they’re rounding up in their nets when they’re taking whole schools of fish. Commercial fishing has become too efficient and we’re feeding countries who would normally never see a piece of salmon.

Ross or whatever your real name is ?-NO I don't eat fish, however I don't have any problems with legal licensed fisherman who do , what's your point? We were talking about the DFG who's job it is to regulate and keep in balance how many fish or killed and how many we have left, or at least the biologists do who work for the DFG . I don't support long liners or giant nets raping the oceans. When I fish for Salmon I kill a few for the family and friends. My biggest complaint is it's either too many get killed and when it's too late they close the river and all the good guys suffer, actually everybody suffers from bad decisions by DFG= STUPID

Carl Blackledge

I can understand why Carl feels the way he does - when fisheries/stocks are in decline, agencies are sometimes slow to react. As of now, the proposal for the Chetco is to close the sport and commercial bubble fishery which is two weekends of ocean fishing immediately outside of the mouth of the Chetco which targets staging fish preparing to run upriver. ODFW has left open the possibility of also closing the in-river sport fishery for chinook as well. Last year a number of factors led to overharvest of Chetco fall chinook which included a longer commercial portion of the bubble fishery and low water which left fish vulnerable to harvest in the estuary.

Bob,

Great answer.

Carl

CA D F & W has no real power or say in many things unless no politicians are interested in the issue.

The reason we have no catch-n-release law on the only undammed river in California, the Smith River, and the river that produces the

largest salmon and largest Steelhead is two things:

1) Pressure from locals who want to kill and eat salmon and steelhead.

2) Pressure from local conventional guides who want to be able to kill fish for their customers.

This last undammed wild river on the CA coast should be catch-n-release only and have no hatchery or planting of hatchery raised

fish. Can't we have one good wild anadromous river in California?

Sorry if this offends anyone or seems unreasonable or impracticable.

I have been following this river for over 50 years so I do have some knowledge of what s going on.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I fished the south Oregon rivers the last two years in the fall for salmon. When the water drops like it did last year those gear boats can just about catch everything in the river. ODFW needs to make it catch and release for the wild chinooks. With the trouble salmon on the west coast are having it seems crazy that a wild chinook can still be harvested. They need to do it while they still have a run of wild fish left to save.