Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chetco River

Default Chetco River

Well it looks like they are going to close the Chetco river fishing this fall. If that happens all the pressure will go to the Smith, Let's hope they make the Smith catch and release only, with the new pressure it's going to receive.

Carl
    Last edited by Carl Blackledge; 04-19-2019 at 02:38 PM.

Do you have more info? I looked on line and could not find anything.

John,

Go to Andy Martins web site. AKA Brooking's charter's

I understand they just planted 450 thousand little steelhead so i guess the river closure will only be for the Salmon that they don't have anyway. I guess the Ocean just isn't producing?

Carl Blackledge

Carl, it's unbelievable that DFG has not placed the Smith on C&R. To even consider an honor system for an individual's five kings per season limit has to be laughable.

One consideration might be to protect the 3,4(5?) salt strains by allowing one per day limit under 20-22 inches with a quota for early closure

The whole DFG is laughable- The smith should have been catch and release for the past 20 years. Soon as it catch and release there go the meat packers......Thank God for the Klamath and their special 3 year return fish for the meat hunters.

Carl Blackledge

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Blackledge View Post
    The whole DFG is laughable- The smith should have been catch and release for the past 20 years. Soon as it catch and release there go the meat packers......Thank God for the Klamath and their special 3 year return fish for the meat hunters.

Carl Blackledge
    I have it on good authority that Fish and Wildlife has been looking into C&R for the Smith but encountering strong resistance
    from the locals.
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by ricards View Post
    I have it on good authority that Fish and Wildlife has been looking into C&R for the Smith but encountering strong resistance
    from the locals.
    Yep, and there is the correct answer. All the CDFW haters here think CDFW are idiots, but they are really responding to the entire population. On this forum, populated by fly fishers, there is strong support for C&R. It's an incorrect assumption that support found here for C&R, applies equally to the general population.
    Last edited by WLREDBAND; 04-20-2019 at 12:03 PM.

Wlredband,

I am not a DFG hater, I just think in general they are stupid. We (the fly guys) on the Smith asked if they would go C and R on the Smith at least 20 years ago, they told us they didn't have any Data to support doing that, Then they installed some kind of electric counting device, they wouldn't share any of the data and they still let you KILL wild salmon if you want too, very frustrating as we watch the fishery go into the shiter, Now that the cows ran off they will probably lock the door? Enough said, now after that rant if you don't get my point perhaps you might fall into that same category?

Carl Blackledge

<<<I am not a DFG hater, I just think in general they are stupid>>>
    I think you just proved my point.
    To let you know, I'm an avid fly angler and last year I C&R over 99% of my catch. So, I'm pretty much a C&R angler. I also know people who don't fish the fly, and they are completely opposed to C&R. And there are more of them than there are us. Reality stinks and I've found that if you go around calling people "stupid" they generally aren't going to support your cause.

Hey Kid,

There are a lot of difference between hating somebody and just thinking they are STUPID. Let's move on?

Carl Blackledge