Thread: Chetco River

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Chetco River

Well it looks like they are going to close the Chetco river fishing this fall. If that happens all the pressure will go to the Smith, Let's hope they make the Smith catch and release only, with the new pressure it's going to receive.

Carl
    Last edited by Carl Blackledge; 04-19-2019 at 02:38 PM.

Do you have more info? I looked on line and could not find anything.

John,

Go to Andy Martins web site. AKA Brooking's charter's

I understand they just planted 450 thousand little steelhead so i guess the river closure will only be for the Salmon that they don't have anyway. I guess the Ocean just isn't producing?

Carl Blackledge

Carl, it's unbelievable that DFG has not placed the Smith on C&R. To even consider an honor system for an individual's five kings per season limit has to be laughable.

One consideration might be to protect the 3,4(5?) salt strains by allowing one per day limit under 20-22 inches with a quota for early closure

The whole DFG is laughable- The smith should have been catch and release for the past 20 years. Soon as it catch and release there go the meat packers......Thank God for the Klamath and their special 3 year return fish for the meat hunters.

Carl Blackledge

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Blackledge View Post
    The whole DFG is laughable- The smith should have been catch and release for the past 20 years. Soon as it catch and release there go the meat packers......Thank God for the Klamath and their special 3 year return fish for the meat hunters.

Carl Blackledge
    I have it on good authority that Fish and Wildlife has been looking into C&R for the Smith but encountering strong resistance
    from the locals.
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Blackledge View Post

Carl Blackledge
    Meat eaters? You don’t eat fish? If it’s done legally and based on sustainability there’s nothing wrong with harvesting wild meat. Maybe you should look into commercial ocean harvesting and their regs. There is no bias to what run they’re rounding up in their nets when they’re taking whole schools of fish. Commercial fishing has become too efficient and we’re feeding countries who would normally never see a piece of salmon.