Thread: Water Level Projections for High Sierra Streams and Creeks

Default Water Level Projections for High Sierra Streams and Creeks

I'm thinking that we'll enjoy similar or better water levels and flows throughout Summer and early Fall as that of 2017. Anybody thinking the same? Planning trips accordingly?

I'm thinking that the highest elevations of the Sierras may remain covered with snow well into July and many hiking areas will be a bit hazardous. Fall will be incredible.
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; 04-19-2019 at 11:15 AM.

I think you're right on the money OS. The Golden Stone hatch is gonna be a challenge this year though. Water's gonna be all the way up in the trees.
    Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

In 2017 I hiked to lakes at 9000’ around July 25 and I think they had become reasonably accessible less than a week before that. In a dry to normal year that trip would have been late June. The wilderness permit office told me they had no reports of people getting to 9000’ and I should not go. I told them if I ran into snow I would turn around and come back. They did not like my plan. I am figuring the same schedule this year. The mosquitoes seemed to be on their regular schedule and were thankfully on the decline in late July.

It sounds like an ascent to the top of Mt. Whitney is out of the question come early July. I surmise the route from the north which is mostly above 10K will be out of the question too.

Change-o-plans.......... Still going to be great no matter the destination.

I, for one, wish for a super slow thaw and really let that water drip into the ground, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    In 2017 I hiked to lakes at 9000’ around July 25 and I think they had become reasonably accessible less than a week before that. In a dry to normal year that trip would have been late June. The wilderness permit office told me they had no reports of people getting to 9000’ and I should not go. I told them if I ran into snow I would turn around and come back. They did not like my plan. I am figuring the same schedule this year. The mosquitoes seemed to be on their regular schedule and were thankfully on the decline in late July.
    In 2017 I hiked into the Hilton Lakes the 2nd week of August (about 2 weeks after July 25). Hilton Lake 5, at about 10,500', looked like this:

No issues with snow. I would guess that this year will be similar - tho it's been pretty cool this spring, so the melt could be delayed a bit...

I am guessing Aug/Sept this year ?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........