Thread: East Walker trip

Default East Walker trip

My wife and I have both been suffering from a significant lack of outdoor sleeping, road trips, mountain views, and trout fishing; in no particular order. Due to some fortune we both ended up with gaps in our work that matched, and reasonable weather in the forecast, so we packed the car and headed up over to the east side. The views were as spectacular as we’d hoped. At times we just enjoyed the views while listening to music, while at other times we talked of past adventures or discussed new ones to come. The air was fresh, and the ground wasn’t much harder to sleep on than we’d remembered... all in all life was back in order and we were starting to just feel like ourselves again. But the fishing???

Right. We did come with hopes of finding some fish, though we weren’t exactly sure just what to expect. For the most part we haven’t fished there in a few years due to the drought or low flows, and as the conditions have gradually returned we just seemed to be focused on other fishing (or work). The flows (300cfs) would be higher than what we’ve fished as well, so we weren’t quite sure how some of our favorite spots would work. The last two trips (after the worst of the drought) we didn’t find a lot of fish, but the size of the fish we did find was impressive. Overall it seems that the populations of rainbows has grown, but the numbers of Browns was much lower than past trips, from our own highly unscientific anecdotal experiences. We caught a few, and lost a few more.

We probably could have had higher levels of action if we had changed a few things. First off, we both were pretty committed to fishing streamers (probably 80% of the time), partly due to that I really hadn’t tied any nymphs and our nymph boxes were very sparsely populated and void of many key patterns... and partly due to that we hadn’t bothered to bring a seine. Why bother seining to see what’s on the menu if we probably don’t have any? I felt reminded throughout the trip that I’d kind of lost my edge a bit, and had grown a bit over confident on my ability to catch trout in whatever fashion I prefer. At times the fish were very keyed into something we weren’t fishing. We did have some good BWO hatches, but sadly no trout slurping them off the surface... we did have BWO dry flies ready to go! That was a little disappointing and frustrating, but at other times we did get some on streamers, which is always a blast. I did a mix of swinging and striping, whereas my wife was pretty much just swinging. We each hooked a couple of much larger fish, including what would have been the biggest brown I’ve ever caught. Key words: would have been! Unfortunately for us 100% of the big fish broke off due in part to the heavy currents, but also at least one was a result of a poor knot. Oh well, so it goes. We came home happy, and mostly rejuvenated till the next trip.

Side note: we noticed the “Three 95” cafe was open on our way home so we stopped in to try their lunch menu. Our last trip here we had a fantastic authentic Mexican breakfast, so we were eager to see if their lunches were as good. We were not disappointed! Great food, with great views of the mountains. We will be back...
    JB
    Last edited by JasonB; 04-18-2019 at 07:13 AM.
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Glad you guys had a wonderful trip! One of these days the stars will align and I will make it up there with you. That report sounds like you might be due for a rematch with those unbuttoned fish very soon.

The key to a good trip...never set yourself up to be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog8404 View Post
    Glad you guys had a wonderful trip! One of these days the stars will align and I will make it up there with you. That report sounds like you might be due for a rematch with those unbuttoned fish very soon.
    Definitely; on both accounts! Hell I’d be happy to back for a rematch even if I knew ahead of time that I’d “lose” again...
    Next time buddy
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Riffle View Post
    The key to a good trip...never set yourself up to be disappointed.

Indeed. I certainly wasn’t disappointed, just had the ego dropped a notch. Probably a good thing. In all honesty, I’ve lost a bit of my edge with nymphing mostly due to a loss of enthusiasm. I do enjoy streamer fishing an awful lot more, and much prefer tying streamers to sz 22 nymphs too; but it does mean accepting that I won’t be as consistent in catching at times. I’m ok with it. The only real disappointing moments were when the BWO’s were thick but no trout were interested in feeding on the surface. It’s been a long time since I’ve had some quality dry fly action, and this sure had the look of being one of those times... but no. It’s fishing. Part of the excitement is the unknown factor.
    JB
    - unknown

Great report Jason...Gracias! I'm pumped to fish it the first time this year. I do plan to swing
    streamers, but will have an arsenal of nymphs and dries.

What pound tippet were you using? Mono or Flouro?

Eric

Eric,
    For the streamers we were using 10lb Rio Salmon/Steelhead tippet (two broke off, with one being questionable knot).
    For nymphs we used Rio 4x trout tippet (I had three broke me off, and my wife had either two or three).
    I’ve had not so happy results in the past with flouro, so given the serious added cost I don’t ever buy or use it. Upping to 3x for nymphs would probably be better, but I didn’t have any with. Good luck!
    JB
    - unknown

Hi Jason,

Ya 10 lb is strong, so that must have been a big boy. I've had too many of those "bad knot" days.
    And all it would take is a minute to retie the knot to double check. But I get lazy and suffer the
    consequences.

Rio 4x is 6.4 lb so I would think you were hooking some nice fish if you got broken off.
    I'll use 4x mono for dries, but I'm starting to use 3x more often due to the break offs I've
    had the last few years. Even 4x flouro seems like it's not enough sometimes.

Thanks for the report, I'm stoked!

Eric