Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody commenting proposed trout regulations for CA?

Default Anybody commenting proposed trout regulations for CA?

Anybody commenting on the new proposed trout regulations for CA?

Statewide Regulation (section 7.0)
    Fishing districts—section 7.00(a) through (g)—for trout waters only (lakes, reservoirs, and streams that are not accessible to fish migrating from the ocean; “non-anadromous”) will be replaced by a statewide trout angling regulation. Waters that are not located in the proposed table of changes, or stated as “move to 7.pr0 statewide reg”, will have the following regulation:
    Open year-round, 5 trout bag, 10 trout possession limit, no gear restrictions.

More info at
    https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...=165844&inline

In a nutshell many changes regarding fewer gear restrictions, fewer size limits, additional rivers going year round, a change in the fishing season start and end date (Late May to Feb instead of Late April to Nov), etc...

Regards,

Tim C.

Tim,
    Some of the proposed changes for Crowley don't seem to make much sense
    at all; except maybe to the marina.
    Best,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

Here's the link for online public comment.

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Fishing/...ation/comments
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

"....no gear restrictions."

This change appears to eliminate fly only restrictions on those waters included in proposal. Is that how this is being read???
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

A friend of my in the accounting department for the State of CA told me, 30 years ago, we were bankrupt?

Most times these changes are to save money from a over spent budget.

See if someone can find out the last time they took all the CA DF&W licensing money and put it all in the General Fund?

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

This is probably due to the declining trend in fishing licenses purchased.

Regulations made to put more pressure on the fish............once the fish are gone, whatever times it takes somebody else will take all the water.........little by little, working hard like ants they will reach their goal.

The waters I go to that I thought were most impacted are [I may have missed some]:

American River, North Fork, Middle Fork, South Fork and their tributaries above Folsom Lake (Placer, Eldorado, Amador, and Alpine cos.).
    Change to allow fishing Open All year, allow 5 fish bag limit, remove all gear restrictions.

Carson River, East Fork from Hangman’s Bridge downstream to Nevada State Line.
    Currently open All year. Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used. 0 trout bag limit.
    Change to all year, remove gear restrictions and 5 trout bag limit.

Fall River from its origin at Thousand Springs downstream to the mouth of the Tule River and including Spring Creek and excluding all other tributaries.
    Retains artificial only but Change to allow open All year and 0 trout bag limit.

Feather River, Middle Fork (Plumas Co.), from the Union Pacific Railroad Bridge (1/4 mile upstream of County A-23 bridge) to the Mohawk Bridge.
    Change from First Saturday in April through Nov. 15.
    Change to Saturday preceding Memorial Day through the last day in February

Feather River North Fork from Belden Bridge downstream to Cresta Powerhouse (excluding reservoirs) (Butte and Plumas cos.).
    Change from First Saturday in April through Nov. 15. Artificial lures only.
    Change to Saturday preceding Memorial Day through the last day in February. No gear restrictions.

Golden Trout Wilderness Area (Tulare Co.), excluding the main stem Kern River (see subsection 7.50(b)(86), and the Tule River drainage (See subsection 7.50(b) (197)).
    Change from First Saturday in April through Nov. 15. Artificial lures only.
    Change to Saturday preceding Memorial Day through the last day in February. No gear restrictions.

Hat Creek (Shasta Co.) from Lake Britton upstream to Baum Lake, exclusive of the concrete Hat No. 2 intake canal between Baum Lake and the Hat No. 2 Powerhouse.
    Change to Open All year, remove size restrictions, 2 trout bag, artificial lures, remove restrictions on collecting bugs.

Hot Creek (Mono Co.). Hot Creek from the State hatchery property line to the confluence with the Owens River.
    Change to All year, 0 fish bag, allow artificial lures with barbless hooks not just artificial flies.

McCloud River from McCloud Dam downstream to confluence of Ladybug Creek downstream to lower boundary of the U.S. Forest Service loop (southern boundary of section 36, T38N, R3W ).
    Change the season from Last Saturday in Apr. through Nov. 15. to Saturday preceding Memorial Day through the last day in February.

Stanislaus River, Middle Fork (Tuolumne Co.). From Beardsley Dam downstream to the New Melones Reservoir.
    Change to open all year.

Tuolumne River (Stanislaus and Tuolumne cos.) From O'Shaughnessy Dam (Hetch Hetchy Reservoir) downstream to Clavey River Falls.
    Remove the five section restrictions and make the whole length open all year with a 2 fish bag limit and artificial lures

There are probably some I missed but they are not all in order so some are more difficult than others.

Based on my current observations I will probably complain about the following:
    American river, Carson river east fork, Feather River North Fork from Belden Bridge downstream to Cresta Powerhouse, Golden Trout Wilderness Area.

I have mixed emotions about Hat creek, Hot creek and the McCloud river changes.
    I could go along with Hat creek if it was 0 bag limit, allowing lures in Hot creek may open the door to bait people, McCloud lower section near Ah-Di-Nah could be dangerous for people traveling in to that remote section of dirt road in the winter.

Also some that are not listed in the changes will go to all year no restrictions.

Regards,

Tim C.
    Last edited by tcorfey; 04-16-2019 at 12:41 AM.

Thanks for passing along the link. I spent some time typing and letting them know what I think about these new regs. We'll see if they actually do change things as a result of public input. Time will tell...
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mogaru View Post
    Regulations made to put more pressure on the fish............once the fish are gone, whatever times it takes somebody else will take all the water.........little by little, working hard like ants they will reach their goal.
    Good one Mogaru........I have the same feelings about Spear Fishing for Stripers in Fresh Water.

Once all the fish are gone the State can save lots of money and it will be easier to control all the water.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........