Thread: Squirmy Wormies and Head Cement

Question Squirmy Wormies and Head Cement

After years of tying big flies I got talked into tying some small bonefish fies size #8. We'll be heading to Christmas Is. the day after Easter and were told that sparce tied worm flies were the thing to have. Usually a size #6 is ideal but for the sake of pleasing our guides I thought I'd give it a go with a few size #8.

The Spirit River Squirmy Wormie really feels like a live worm of some kind and any fish that picked it up would never know the difference until he felt the hook. So I finish my first tie and add a bit of head cement and with no effort the worm falls off the hook. It dissolved at the wrap. Uugh.

So I tie another one the same way, add the head cement, and the same thing happens. Grrrr dammit.

I'm using good old Sally Hansen like always but something's wrong. I like to finish my ties with head cement.

Anybody else out there tying worm flies? What cement do you use?
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Tony,

Sounds like your head cement is dissolving the worm materials...Go with a head cement that isn't so hot? I don't know the name but they do make a milder cement, which they also use for foam-Good luck.

Carl

Water based loon soft head does the trick.
    Last edited by Mr T; 04-12-2019 at 04:40 PM.

Water-base ! Good idea. I didn't know anybody made such a thing.

Thanks, Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Default Worm Flies

Tony,.... I've been using a fly called the Wabnitz Worm at Christmas Isl., for the last two trips. It's tied using the standard pearl mylar body, some Arctic Fox at the base of the wing (sparse), a wing of ultra chenille (worm brown) 1 1/4 X length of hook, nickel bead chain eyes, pink or fluorescent orange thread. Hook size your choice but I've caught fish on sizes 6 or 8. Pattern is based on a species of red worm that lives in the sands on the Isl. However, red chenille didn't work for me.

Good luck!! Wish I was going with you....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown