Thread: Lucky Coast Run

Default Lucky Coast Run

We rolled out to the coast last Wednesday afternoon on short notice to hopefully get in some fishing between storms. We went back and forth for Thursday between SF Eel and Mattole, as gauges rose and dropped. We decided to drive out to the Mattole and take our chances. Bingo! It was in great shape, even below the slide. It was a great day of fishing, and even got warm in the afternoon. The two of us were able to go 6 for 10, with i am sure, a couple of other things that had to be grabs. We did lose a couple of nice ones that had us shaking our heads all evening.

Rain from Wednesday night had the river rising later in the day, so back over to the SF Eel which had dropped back into reasonable shape. The Humbolt rain started dumping good by about 9:30, and I mean good. Fishing was slower for us on the SF Eel, but we still manged to get into 3 fish between us. Again, a great Steelhead trip. We would have been happy to fish one day, but to get both in, right before season end was a real bonus.

I must say, the high water event of 3-4 weeks ago has the SF Eel looking like a yard sale with all of the tents, tarps and cloths that were hanging 10 feet up in the riverside bushes. You could have opened a second hand store with all of the crap you picked out of those bushes from that event. Looks like a lot of camps got washed away.

Another coast year in the books. I gotta say, it is beautiful up there.

Way to go Bob seems like you always seem to find the fish!! Where's the photos? I can't even remember when the last time I went fishing.

Winter Steelheading is so unpredictable but I am excited that some hearty souls are still going after them.

Thanks for the inspirational report.....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Chris,

Not me, Slim finds them. I'm just in the boat! Pics are on his Facebook page.

Nice report! Were you swinging flies?

Swung a couple runs . . . nada. All caught on bobbers.