Thread: New fish finder

Default New fish finder

Recently bought a Humminbird ffinder for a boat we use in nor-cal lakes. With no experience looking at these devices and the boat currently in storage, can anyone suggest how some basic operational procedures be practiced? Yes, the boat is high and dry for now.

Start by reading the owner's manual. Get familiar with the buttons, then play with it to see what each push of the button does. Clear it, then go back to the owner's manual again. Hopefully you didn't get one with too much fancy stuff that will confuse you and make learning tough. Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Take a 12 year old out with you....they will figure it all out while you are drinking your coffee.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks guys, but can any basic viewing of the device be done while the boat is in the driveway? Or does everything rely on readings from the transducer which currently is nowhere near water. The new unit is installed but it'll be some weeks until we get it out. Just hoping to experiment a little.

Default It depends

As Tony stated RTM. your transducer will not give you any reading worth a dang in the driveway (probably just see a flat grey line at the bottom of the display), but there may be a demo or learning mode to practice with. And even if not, you can still turn the unit on and page thru the displays to see what is what. However prolonged running out of the water can overheat and damage some (not all) transducers. It should be in the manual whether or not you can run yours dry.

I had a similar situation. Find a 12 volt adapter (phone / radio). And wire it in. I it on my kayak. I took the head unit and dash board harness off, then plugged the 12volt adapter into the battery harness and 110v wall outlet. If you run the demo mode on the head unit it will allow you to work thru the systems.
    No need to run / wire the transducer.
    I hope this makes sense. I'll take some photos tomorrow if you would like
    J. Ice

Hey thanks Ice. Photos would be great as all this is new to me.
    I tried YouTube videos, not much there and easy to come away more confused.
    Just hoping to get somewhat familiar with Menu functions ect.
    Bill’s right, i need a 10 year old. I’m becoming quite proficient with the toaster though.