Thread: Mattole flow

Default Mattole flow

Aloha— I’ve been wanting to fish the Mattole river all season but the flows have been too high every time I check according to the intel I have that it’s not fishable until 800-900cfs. Is this correct? Currently it’s at 1390cfs and their isn’t any rain forecasted until Monday. Is it worth going out there to swing some flies?? Thank you!!

Uh, it is raining here now and even more tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by mircetich View Post
    Uh, it is raining here now and even more tomorrow
    Only suppose to rain a bit today.

It should be clear above the landslide which gives you about three or four miles of water and there are swing spots in that section.

No rain until Monday???? I gotta wonder where you heard that. I drove back from Forks Washington to my home in NorCal today, and can tell you that it was raining buckets from Portland all the way to Redding. Didn't see the Mattole, but saw a lot of other Oregon/NorCal streams, and I'd be very surprised that the Mattole would be fishable tomorrow. The CNRFC projects over an inch of rain today/tomorrow and shows a doubling of the flow by midnight tonight. And my experience on the Mattole tells me while the Mattole fishes best from 500-1000 CFS, I have successfully fished the lower river all the way to tidewater at 1500 CFS.

We fished the Mattole on Thursday, but the rain on Friday blew it out. I would not expect it to fish for a week at the least after our next set of storms. it was awesome on Thursday. Most all of the silt seems to have been washed out of the landslide. Conditions were excellent on Thursday. Shoulda been here yesterday . . .