I was teaching fly casting lessons at the flooded Howe Ave Access earlier this week and my client spooked a nice steelhead that was holding in 3 feet of water approximately the 2nd row, 4th space in (lol). A few minutes later we both watched a large v wake moving through the parking lot heading upstream. Just before the lesson was over a large adult steelhead, still in great condition, jumped twice at the end of the parking lot. As were walking out a sea lion could be seen in the main river just above the bridge.
It seems like the return of winter steelhead was decent this year and there are late fish arriving.

I would recommend fishing the river next week (supposed to drop under 6000 cfs) at the widest section you can find where the current speed is slower next to the bank and the water is about 3-5 feet deep. No need to wade, just fish the edges.
Caddis hatches should starting soon.

Water conditions have been great for the past few years which could really help future returns. Thanks to the rain gods and hopefully we’ve been blessed with enough and the water spout will turn off for a while. Looking forward to a productive year on the water!

Check out my upcoming 2-day spey camp and Alaska trip (jpflyfishing.com) for potential fly fishing opportunities and I hope to see you on the water soon. -JP