Thread: Looking For Reel Reccos

Default Looking For Reel Reccos

I need reel recommendations. I want to get a machined reel with a good drag, large arbor, that also has some weight to it. I want to be able to slap the arbor and have it pick up line quickly. This will be paired with a 7WT rod and used for fishing HEAVY streamers.

In terms of "feel / weight", the Reddington Behemoth is what I'm going for, but something machined rather than made out of the same stuff Hot Wheels are pressed from

Thanks
    Chad Alderson
    Co-host, Barbless Fly Fishing Podcast
    Creator, Barbless Leaders

Older Bauer M series?

They go up on flea bay every now and then for a couple of 100 or so. They hold up to a lot of abuse. The only drawback is the cork drag. Never bothered me but some complain about it, I do recommended to follow the maintenance schedule. The newer ones might fit the bill too but I have no experience with the latest renditions from Montana, only the older ones from Oregon and Salinas.

Sage 6000 series! I have the 6010, incredible drag system and freespools on the intake, you can keep slapping down on the spool to bring in slack line fast. I believe the drag system in these are the same design as the Charlton drags

Redington do make a machined version of the Behemoth,it's called a Grande ($300USD) but don't underestimate the strength of the Behemoth as it's been proven on Sailfish and many use it for Bonefish and other pelagics,but if you must have a machined version their Rise is good value at $220USD.I use a 9/10 for GT's btw.