Thread: Pyramid Report 3/15/2019

Default Pyramid Report 3/15/2019

Did the 'mid again today.

I was on a mission.

I was bound and determined to disprove the "my midges/flies were scrutinized and were determined that "they wouldn't catch fish" because they were "too thick" and "were tied on scud hooks"" evaluation that my pal Dave's guide gave last week of some flies I had given him to fish with.

So, I woke up to a nice balmy 18 degrees this morning.
    Stirred and shuffled around the house for a while waiting for things to thaw out a bit.......including me.

On the road @ 7:30 and arrived at "one to the north beach", suited up and was on the water around 9:00 ish.

The weather forecasters were partially correct for today too.......
    Sunny skies with southeasterly winds in the morning (as predicted) then in the afternoon, northeasterly changing to a northerly direction (not predicted).

My first fish was within 5 minutes of getting in the water........a rat......on a balanced leech which erased the ever looming "go home smelling like a skunk tonight".

I LDR'd a second fish, then landed a third ......... a bit larger than a rat.......pretty close to the 5 lb mark AND it was on my Cherry Bomb that was "snubbed" by pal Dave's guide..........neener neener neeener.......

Lots of people coming and going pre-lunchtime too........to me that's a sign of people moving from beach to beach searching for fish.

Things slowed way down around lunchtime so I decided to move down the beach and around the corner to search out some clearer water................... good thing I did.........................

Some of you may remember John H telling me around Christmas time in one of my reports,"Hopefully you will find a ten pounder in your stocking."

Well, today I found it.......................and then some.

I was fishing my two midge rig with two #8 Cherry Bombs (that wouldn't catch fish) and set the hook on a strike.
    What followed was a lot of really big head shakes and a few good runs.
    I was finally able to coax my fish near the shore AND grab my net AND slide him into the net by myself.
    I was VERY surprised at what I had just caught.........................

Today I landed my "personal best" Pyramid Lake Cutthroat Trout.
    Even though I had no camera, scale to weigh it, or tape to measure it for proof, I'm guesstimating it was somewhere in the 15-20lbs. range.

I saw an 11lb'er landed a couple of ladders away from me (verified with a scale) and it was much smaller comparatively.

And PV_Premier, if and when you read this, the fish took my top fly.

Of course the rest of the day for me was rather anti-climatic with a smattering of fish here and there till dark.

My total for the day was 6 for 7 with two fish landed on a Balanced Leech and the rest on my flies that "they wouldn't catch fish" because they were "too thick" and "were tied on scud hooks"

Am I bitter ? ................naw, .................I made the bad man go away..........................

Bob
    Last edited by BS; 03-16-2019 at 12:09 AM.

You blew right through the 10 pound barrier. Getting it on your own fly creation makes it even sweeter. Way to go. I am inspired by your persistence.

I think that fish was down in the bottom of the stocking and it just took you a little while to dig through the other gifts and get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by BS View Post

And PV_Premier, if and when you read this, the fish took my top fly.
    Great report. Guess I will keep fishing two flies if I ever make it back out there...