Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Orleans Redfish guide rec?

Default New Orleans Redfish guide rec?

I just found out that I have some meetings in New Orleans at the end of Feb, and there’s no way I’m going without chasing reds while I’m there. I haven’t been back since before Katrina, and the guide I used back then appears to have left the business. Any recent guide experience that you would recommend? Thanks!

Wayne

Cpt. Michael Leishman! I’ve done a handful of trips with him and he’s a great guide, always finds them even if the weather isn’t cooperating.

985-507-7400

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Rocky Thickstun if you can get him.

I'll second Rocky Thickstun as a great local guide. Another option is to contact Capt.Greg Moon and go to his website and you can book either guide through Moon's site.

We've fished with Moon for years and he's always got us into great fishing. The problem is Moon is booked most of the time a year ahead. You'd probably have a better chance getting ahold of Rocky. I'd fish with either one anytime.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Moonie or Rocky would be a great place to start. If they're booked, they'll try to help hook you up with another guide they know and respect.

Both of those guys are top notch. If you don't have luck with them shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up with some under the radar guys who are superb.

Thanks all! Looking forward to posting a follow up report. I’ve taken 2 one day trips in the past, both were windy and overcast. Hoping to catch a sight fishing day this time...

That's the biggest risk of trying to fish NOLA in the winter time. Remember to bring layers and a rain jacket. It can get cold out there.

I read someone recently comment about needing to fish 4-5 days, as at least a couple will be poor conditions. Still caught plenty of fish those days, casting to disturbances that the guide saw but I rarely did. I just need someone to speak to my wife about how that works!

Thanks for all your suggestions and PMs. I was able to book a guide, but we wound up getting blown out (20-30 mph winds and some heavy rain) and never made it out. Other than that, great trip. Good business meetings, the usual NOLA nightlife, and wow, does the Quarter REALLY start to ramp up on the Thursday of Mardi Gras weekend.

For music fans, check out the lineup for this year’s 50th Anniversary Jazz and Heritage Festival at the end of April in New Orleans. Rolling Stones, Dave Mathews, Katy Perry, Earth Wind and Fire, Jimmy Buffet, Chris Stapleton, Santana, John Fogerty, Bonnie Raitt, Chaka Kahn, The Doobies, Buddy Guy, Zogby Marley, Bozz Skaggs, Taj Mahal, and that barely scratches the surface of big name acts that are playing there. I’ve never seen a list like it.