Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Switch rod versus Spey rod choice

Default Switch rod versus Spey rod choice

So I have to get into the two handed game next year...shoulder just can't take
    much more of casting a single handed 7 wt anymore.

For you seasoned spey and switchers, what is the determining factor of choosing
    either a switch rod or a spey rod?

What are the advantages, or disadvantages of both, if any?

Welcoming your wisdom and thoughts.

Eric O

For most two-handed casters the Switch rods are merely shorter Spey rods.

Most will have at least 2 outfits depending on the rivers they fish.

Tell us what rivers you plan on fishing.

I like an 11' #4 line Switch rod for trout and half-pounders. They are about like an 11' #6 line single handed fly rod for power.

My next rod is the popular 12'6" #6 Spey which will do much of what people do today.

For bigger water I would get a 13'6" #7 Spey.

**In the Fall on the wide Clearwater river in Idaho many use 14' to 15' #8/9 Spey rods with long belly floating fly lines.

You need to talk to someone like Andy Guibord, Jeff Putnam or Doug Duncan......all have web sites.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks Bill,

Primarily swinging on the Klamath, American River and Feather. I've been leaning towards
    the Redington Chromer 11'6", 6 weight switch rod as it looks to have plenty of backbone for
    half pounders and an occasional adult fish.

I guess I'm wondering what the advantage would be going to a Spey rod length. Or maybe it's
    just preference?

Eric

I think it sounds very good....

Be sure to have someone get you set up with a good floating running line, the right weight and length Scandi head and some short Versi/Poly leaders and some Rio 12' Steelhead tapered leaders.

For winter you can get a Skagit head and MOW tips for fishing deeper with bigger flies.

Andy Guibord works on the weekends at Kiene's. You can go there or just call him for some professional advise.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thank again Bill. Yes, I plan on hitting up Andy, in addition to some lessons.

Maybe one day I'll be in the Jeff Ching casting length category.

Eric

EDawg, I can let you try every rod I have to see what you like before you buy (5 to 8 wt switch rods and a 12-6 6 wt Spey)
    Get a lesson to learn the basic casts (switch, snap t and double Spey). Andy, Doug or Jeff Putnam are excellent instructors!

Eric,

I’ll echo what you’ve already heard in that it really is preference. A 6 weight is probably a little over gunned for half pounders, I fish an 11’ 4 wt as well. I use a 13’ 6 wt for most steelheading, with a 13 ‘7/8 for throwing skagit lines and heavy flies. You really wouldn’t even need a skagit setup for most of what you’re talking about doing, although lots of very successful two handlers would disagree with me on that. I prefer Meiser rods, Hardy click and pawl reels, bourbon and blues and hate Sage two handlers, country and western and scotch -and again, thousands of guys (and millions in Sage sales) will tell you my approach is all wrong.

Keep in mind the whole point is to find a more enjoyable (and effective) way to put a fly in front of a fish. Try lots, find the rod you’re most comfortable with, and don’t overthink it - although overthinking leads to the best discussions. It really is mainly about your preference and taste.

Except for the Meiser’s and bourbon. I’m right about those

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate it. Looking forward to saving my shoulder.

Thanks HWChubb, great information and examples. Gracias!

Eric

Generally speaking, I prefer to use the longest rod I can get away with in a situation. Switch rods are for tight spots and smaller water are easier to overhand cast when desired. Probably the best all around choice is an 11.5-12’ rod in a 6wt. It will be overkill for halfies as already mentioned.

I do about 80% of my two hand fishing with a floating scandi head, some kind of versileader, and 3x tippet on an 11’ rod. I have 11’-ers in 5,6, and 7. I really only use the 7 for skagit style fishing and catch adults in the Trinity on the 5 without too much drama.

My favorite switch rod is a sage tcx 6119. If you can buy one it’s a great do all stick for this area. Unfortunately they are fairly uncommon and the method while good isn’t as sweet IMO.

Really not so different an issue than when you got your first single hand rod; you can agonize about whether to go with a 4wt, a 5wt, a 6wt, or whatever. The reality is that if you fish different waters for different species, and in different conditions; you will probably want more than one rod.
    For Klamath half pounders a 4wt is plenty, though a 5wt or even a 6wt might be better for wind. In terms of length, it would likely be easier learning the Spey casting with a bit longer rod, and you could certainly be casting a bit farther with one, but it’s hardly “needed”. An 11’6” rod can throw a long ways with decent technique (or so I keep hoping)...
    I really love casting, and fishing with a longer line and a longer rod, but I find that my switch rods still get an awful lot of use! My 2cents would be to:
    A) pay for some lessons right up front. Don’t skimp, or skip this part!!!
    B) buy the rod that’s ideal for what you want to fish now, rather than trying to buy a rod that can sort of handle a bit of everything...
    And then end up buying two (or more!) additional rods to better suit specific needs.
    I’d probably lean heavily towards a rod between 11-12’ in a 4 or 5wt now, then look into maybe a 12-13’ 6-8wt rod for winter steelhead. A 14’ 7wt would be pretty nice to have too at some point.... beware!
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown