Thread: Pyramid Report 2/27/19

Default Pyramid Report 2/27/2019

Finally, after nearly a month without fishing Pyramid....... I did,........... and a report too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, I didn't sail off the edge of the earth.
    No, no colds, flu, or other illnesses.
    No needed auto repairs.

Yes, a bad streak of weather.
    Yes, between weather systems shoveling snow.
    Yes, some VERY frigid mornings/daytime temperatures.

So I got the chance to do it to it today !!!!!

I arrived at my favorite "southern beach" @ 8:30, suited up, and was in the water @ 8:45.
    There was one other fisherman there and I watched him LDR a fish as I was suiting up.
    No strikes, take-downs, or bumps for the first hour for me.

As I was looking around the lake, just to the south of that "southern beach" I frequent, I saw a very large mud line headed our way.
    There was a culvert spewing muddy water from the south and the current in the lake was carrying it right towards the beach.
    Twenty minutes later the mud-line overtook us and I happend to hook up and land a "rat" just outside the mud-line.

Whew !!!!!!!
    At least I wasn't going to go home tonight as a big stinkin' "SKUNK".

The mud-line continued to grow and I'd had enough of fishing in the muddy water so, I decided to move one beach to the north to see what might be going on there.

Glad I did.............

I started fishing a "Cherry Bomb" with a "Midnight Cowboy" balanced leech below it.
    Around noon the wind decided to do it's thing too........ way over and above what the forecasters predicted..........It started hootin' from the west for the rest of the day.
    I hooked and landed a few fish on that set-up and then it got slow.

"O.k. fishes........wanna' play that way........., I'll switch rigs then".

I went over and grabbed my other rod rigged with two "Cherry Bombs".

I don't know if it was my "dumb luck" or what, but I found that the fish REALLY liked the two "Cherry Bombs" rig today.

I got my belly full of fishing for the day,........ finally........, and "packed it up" @ 5:30 and headed for the car.

Saved the best for last..........................................

My total for the day..............................................

I went 14 for 17 and landed 2 that may have been over the 5 lb. mark (nope, those two don't combine as the 10lb'er Santa forgot to put in my stocking either).

So there you have it again guys and gals, another one of those Pyramid Reports !!!!

Bob
    Last edited by BS; 03-22-2019 at 08:31 PM.

Big score!!!!! Way to go. The 10 pounder is coming. I can feel it.

I am going to get up there but need to wait until it is safe to cross the mountains which I think will be in about a month. I don’t want to get stuck in the snow and have to camp out out with the Donner party waiting for the spring thaw.

Love reading your reports Bob. The lake is going to get a great respite from us Cali fishers for awhile as we wait out these snow storms.

BS
    Do you mind describing a " Cherry Bomb"? By PM or here.
    Thanks
    Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    BS
    Do you mind describing a " Cherry Bomb"? By PM or here.
    Thanks
    Dick
    Hi Dick,

No problem.

The "Cherry Bomb" midge (as explained to me) has a black (either thread or holographic tinsel) body, red wire rib (I use size medium), and an over sized metallic red bead head. IE. "Bomber style"

I use a 1/8" (3.2mm) red metallic tungsten bead on a #10 TMC 2457 and have found that with the #10 hooks the hook point MUST be offset a little as the gape isn't very large between the bead and the hook point.
    This will avoid strikes without hook ups .

Yesterday I picked up a pack of #8 TMC 2457's and I'm going to spin up a few CB's today, just a touch larger, and see how those do.

Tie up a few and let us know if it becomes the "magic bullet" for you !!!

Bob
    Last edited by BS; 03-01-2019 at 10:49 AM.

Thanks Bob.

I will tie up a few before I head up to give them a try. Probably be a month or so before I am able to get there. Usually a bunch of us old cronies head to Pyramid in early May for a few days camping, fishing and enjoying cowboy TV (campfire). I try to get up there to do some prescouting.

Have you been to Hinkson since the opener?

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    Usually a bunch of us old cronies head to Pyramid in early May for a few days camping, fishing and enjoying cowboy TV (campfire).

Have you been to Hinkson since the opener?

Dick
    Good on you Dick with the "cowboy TV".
    That's the absolute best it can get !!!
    Friends and a campfire..........nothing beats it !!!!!

I have "limited" days/windows that I can fish, so Pyramid is typically my "all in or nothing" spot.
    Everything local that I like to play at is still frozen over till...... probably..... the end of the month.
    So, until that changes, and before the Pyramid Cutthroat turn into "Zombies" again, I'm apt to be found somewhere at Pyramid.

Hinkson ??? .......sadly, no.
    I've never been there, but is Hinkson just a flotation device type impoundment or is there any fish-able/wadeable shoreline available ??
    I've got a float tube and a Watermaster but it's always much easier to drive up, park, grab the rod(s) and then fish especially with an hour plus drive to and fro.

Would it be worth my time and effort to give Hinkson a try ????
    You can PM me if you'd prefer on this.

Anyhow, let us know if you do a pre-fish at Pyramid and if the "Cherry Bombs" were "da Bomb".

Bob

See, moving beaches pays sometimes

I am tentatively planning to be on the water up there next Saturday pending how the week goes at work and what the weather over the pass is doing. Seems like it's one of those years where the days you can get across are fewer than the days you cannot. *eyeroll*

Appreciate your continued dedication to good reporting.

Just one question, when you went to the double rig, did you find that most of your fish were on the bottom fly? When you were fishing the midge/minnow rig, were all your fish on the midge? My continued observation at Pyramid is that the bottom fly is strongly preferred over the top fly on a two fly rig. So much so that I have almost convinced myself (but not quite...) to start fishing just one fly.

Or is the bottom fly at the right depth?

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    See, moving beaches pays sometimes

I am tentatively planning to be on the water up there next Saturday pending how the week goes at work and what the weather over the pass is doing. Seems like it's one of those years where the days you can get across are fewer than the days you cannot. *eyeroll*

Appreciate your continued dedication to good reporting.

Just one question, when you went to the double rig, did you find that most of your fish were on the bottom fly? When you were fishing the midge/minnow rig, were all your fish on the midge? My continued observation at Pyramid is that the bottom fly is strongly preferred over the top fly on a two fly rig. So much so that I have almost convinced myself (but not quite...) to start fishing just one fly.

PV,

Yep, I'll concede that moving to a different beach was "the best thing I could have done".
    If it weren't for that mud-line moving in, I probably would have fished the whole day at that "southern beach I like to frequent".
    VERY BIG LESSON LEARNED.
    I guess that's why my dad always said I was "Hard Headed".

RE the double rig:
    "When you were fishing the midge/minnow rig, were all your fish on the midge?"
    No, at fish #5, 3 fish on the BL and 2 fish on the midge then the strikes dwindled.

"when you went to the double rig, did you find that most of your fish were on the bottom fly?"
    Good question and here's what happened.......... pretty interesting too.
    When I switched to the two midge rig, both flies were "fresh/new and unused".
    I was picking up fish, on the bottom fly only, for a couple of hours.
    The red metallic beads I use will start to lose more and more of the paint/anodizing/coating (or what ever is used for their red coloring) when landing and hook removal from the fish, yielding a silver bead underneath.
    So, as I landed more and more fish (on the bottom fly) the red bead progressivly lost about 3/4 of the of it's red color and morphed into a mostly silver bead head midge.
    As the red coloring on the bottom fly gradually turned to silver, I began to get fish on the top fly with a completely red bead head.
    Now, before jumping to a conclusion about the significance of the bead color, a different factor needs to be added into the mix too.
    When I started picking up fish on the top fly, it was getting later in the afternoon and possibly the fish moved from the bottom up a bit with the reduced sunlight.

So two factors in play.

I personally believe the metallic red bead was the primary "trigger" for what the fish wanted.
    Others might argue that the fish moved to shallower water during the lower light (and they do) in the afternoon and that's why I started hooking fish on my top fly.

I don't know.............................
    My gut feeling is with the "metallic red bead trigger" theory.
    Too bad I didn't change to a fresh "unused fly" on the bottom.

And finally PV, my take on the two fly thing is that if only one percent of the hookups at Pyramid are on the top fly, you may as well play the odds in your favor, after-all this is Nevada.

Bob