Thread: International shipping rates...

Default International shipping rates...

(Bill, please move to appropriate thread if this isn't the right one...Thanks)

Online fly shops in the U.S.must have great support from within the country as they sure make it unattractive to overseas buyers like me from "Down Under".One recent potential purchase from a leading store for a pair of gloves and a Simms shirt garnered a $64.95USD charge (around $93AUD) and yet it's possible to get a 9' 4pc.fly rod in a tube sent for $30USD.To their credit they dropped the fee to "around $20" upon request but then apologised as the main item I wanted was out of stock (a failure to update the site).

Mostly pleas for more reasonable shipping cost falls on deaf ears...they simply just don't reply. Incidentally the standard charge is usually $50USD for anything.You folks live in a heaven where many stores will ship your order free.

Go figure as you say...Thanks for listening.
    Cheers

Hey Peter -

I always enjoy your posts, and I agree that the shipping costs that you describe are arbitrary.

Peter and I have had many pleasant and very successful dealings with each other through this Board’s Classifieds. Even more importantly, through Bill’s fabulous Board I have made a dear international friend in Peter.

Best Regards, Bob

Thanks for the endorsement Bob and I hope you are enjoying your well-earned retirement my friend.
    Best Regards to You and Yours,
    Peter

Hi Peter,

Yep, same Ard, I've not visited here in a long while but spotted your post. I think the primary cause for higher shipping costs is that some sellers do not seek out the best pricing for the customer. Maybe try pleading the costs to a seller and ask that they look to see if there is a more affordable alternative to the first quote?

I have to agree with Ard. Many companies rely on service that can be counted on. Far more important that the pkg arrives rather than maybe not

Shipping prices are different depending on a lot of factors, starting with the company that ships your product and finishing with the distance and with the ways to deliver what you want. For example, if you have chosen a fast shipping package, you will get it in less than 3 days, but don't forget that you will pay much more for that. However, there are companies where you can use different speedpak services without being obliged to pay more. Check it out on the internet for more. I am sure you won't be disappointed about that.

For me shipping these stripping baskets all over the country has been a rude awakening both for myself and the customer. FED/EX seems to be the best for the money and I've tried them all. In the last few months I've shipped a half dozen or so to the east coast from here on the west coast and all of them have cost over $100.00 each with basic shipping..
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Tony,

I hear ya brother. I been selling flies for 30 years and most people get pissed when I charge them $10.00 for shipping, however i found that the post office is the best deal here in the USA, I don't bother with shipping to any other Country...my 2 cents

Carl

Being a fly shop owner I can see both sides of the story.

Here is my one bad "deal" shipping out of the country.....

I sold a close-out discontinued Sage fly rod to a guy in Canada at a loss.....below my cost.

The shipping was not too bad and the customer was happy and got a new discontinued Sage rod at half price.

OK...here goes the bad part......from DHL I got a bill a month later for $132.00 usd for import tax/duty?

We had to pay it our have our wonderful credit score ruined.

Please, never use DHL if you can........

50 years ago (1971) there were less than a dozen fly shops in California.

20 years ago there were over 60 fly shops in California.

Now there are about 12?

Almost all wakin retail is going away.........everything will be online.

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........