Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pleasanton Show?

Default Pleasanton Show?

Never been to the Fly Fishing Show. Worth the effort of a few hour drive? Also, does Mako reels ever show up?

Lots of great speakers and fly tying row is fun. Definitely worth the drive if you have never been. Not sure about Mako being there, can't remember.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

It is enjoyable. The show has really reduced in size from it's heyday about 8 years ago. I have never seen Mako there. Many of the top rod and reel manufacturers no longer participate, which is a drag, because one of the things I enjoyed most was the opportunity to cast the rods of different manufacturer's against one another. A large portion of the booth's are now manned by lodges and guides, which you gives you a lot of info on possible destination fishing. The show used to occupy 2 full exhibit halls, it is now about 80% of one hall.

There are always some interesting presentations given.

I enjoy this show, look forward to it. Smaller than the ISE show but centered on fly fishing so in my opinion it is much better.

To get the most out of it you need to attend some classes and seminars.
    There is some real good stuff going on if you pay attention.

Number of vendors is not huge but lots of great information in a more intimate atmosphere.

Just my opinion.

Agree with tcorfey...... You can spend quality time with exhibitors, presenters and demonstrators. Last time I bought a fishing inflatable I bought at this show at big discount.. I spent all the time I needed talking to Outcast, Watermaster and Scadden. In fact, being able to talk to Dave Scadden in depth was one of the reason I bought a Watermaster. (those who know Dave will understand).

Show is at Alameda County Fairgrounds, so it is easy to get in and out- about 1/2mile from the freeway.

If you ask here, you should be able to find people in your area who will carpool-- as with most shows, cost of parking seems high.

Jim

Howdy Sardina,
    Here's the link to the show website. https://flyfishingshow.com/pleasanton-ca/

Simply scroll down and you'll see the button to view the Exhibitors Map, Speakers, Tiers, etc. Enjoy!
    Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Its a small but very interesting show. I wish more of the fly fishing manufacturers would make their presence in this show.....

Perhaps if you have never been to such as show, it might be worth driving an hour or two, but not worth much more than that in my opinion. In its heyday was a great show, but has been slowing dying on the vine and the new venue is awful, especially for the presentations. YMMV.
    -JD

It was a good show. I really enjoy catching up with all the guides/reps/etc. There are some great people in this business and I generally like the vibe. Matt Koles (Gilligan) did a really nice review of the lower truckee river. Sucks there are no fish in that section.... Don't waste your time. (HAHAHHA). Places like LCO and Fly Fishing Specialities had great selections. Scott, Sage, Orvis, and Hardy were really well represented. I met some folks I've communicated with online. Spent some money and had a few beers. Good stuff. Just need the sun to come out!

I had a great time also. This was the first time I had seen Orvis at the show and I got to talk with Tom Rosenbauer and the Orvis head casting instructor Pete Kutzer both are really nice people to talk to. Stopped by the Hardy booth and asked if they had any pawls for my Princess reel (I lost one) and they provided a replacement free of charge! Spoke with a bunch of the other regular contributors/vendors the lady over in the Cal Trout booth was super nice also the guys at Dry Fly Innovations. Of course I had to look at all the new rods/reels and spent some time talking bamboo with Joe Bradley. The fly tyers are always fun to talk to and very knowledgeable, it was great to see Mas Okui again. Ended up purchasing a bunch of stuff at good prices including a nice condition CFO III reel and I bought my son some lightweight wading boots. Overall it is a great time and a nice break from the winter.