Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pleasanton Show?

Default Da Show

Every year I look forward to going to this show and was not disappointed. Was able to connect/visit with several fly fishing friendsAll of the exhibitors were friendly/informative. I spent less than I normally do but that's OK. The Tyers were interesting. I really enjoy Steve Potters works as well as Jay Murakoshis' flies. Now back to the original question of whether this show worth the effort to attend?? As usual, I was able to make the trip down there on Friday AM in about 2.5 hours, including a stop for a coffee. Recalling that commute traffic on Friday afternoon is always horrendous, I left the show around 2:30 or 2:45. It took about 4.5 hours to return to Sacramento. On 680/I80, it was bumper to bumper, stop/go at most times and traffic reports indicated that it was the same on each corridor leaving the Bay Area. Either I have to change the day I attend or stay overnight I guess....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I went on Sunday and it was smooth sailing but I was out of there around 130. Maybe that hour made a big difference? Bay area traffic is pretty brutal now though. Solid stuff though. Glad you guys had a similar experience. You can tell Orvis and a few others are really trying to get women involved in the sport. That is a real opportunity. I encourage that as well so long as my wife doesn't take it up...

Quote Originally Posted by cdevine View Post
    I went on Sunday and it was smooth sailing but I was out of there around 130. Maybe that hour made a big difference? Bay area traffic is pretty brutal now though. Solid stuff though. Glad you guys had a similar experience. You can tell Orvis and a few others are really trying to get women involved in the sport. That is a real opportunity. I encourage that as well so long as my wife doesn't take it up...
    LOL..that's funny CD. You gotta be real careful with spouses. My wife fishes with me, but only
    select places where wading is straight forward. Water up to my waist is chest high for her.
    No bueno.

So no Pit River...ever, no NFF, no Big Truckee for the most part, unless flows are sub-500.

We were fishing the Upper Sac a few years ago and she stepped in a deep hole and promptly
    went up to her chin. Good thing we were wet wading. Five minutes later, I stepped in the
    same damn hole!

She wants to get out and fish as much as I do, but gonna be a while. Vise time very soon I think.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by JayDubP View Post
    In fact, being able to talk to Dave Scadden in depth was one of the reason I bought a Watermaster.
    Well played.

Quote Originally Posted by EricO View Post
    LOL..that's funny CD. You gotta be real careful with spouses. My wife fishes with me, but only
    select places where wading is straight forward. Water up to my waist is chest high for her.
    No bueno.

So no Pit River...ever, no NFF, no Big Truckee for the most part, unless flows are sub-500.

We were fishing the Upper Sac a few years ago and she stepped in a deep hole and promptly
    went up to her chin. Good thing we were wet wading. Five minutes later, I stepped in the
    same damn hole!

She wants to get out and fish as much as I do, but gonna be a while. Vise time very soon I think.

Eric

That is awesome! No pit river ever... Hahhahahha. Honestly that might go for me if I don’t see a 400 type number this summer up there. Yeah get ready for those big water tactics

I enjoyed talking to all the people and even met a few new ones this year. I like our after show dinners with a few friends and discussing the days venue. Sunday's drive home over 580E is like driving in the Daytona 500. My wife was driving and kept telling me to go to sleep, hell no. I was amazed that we got back to Fresno during the day light hours. Must be the longer days or faster driving.
    See ya next year.

I was there Saturday morning and it seemed quite a bit bigger than in years past. More booths outside and they seem to have squeezed a few more inside too. Had a good chat with Tom Rosenbauer and had him autograph an Orvis 50/50 cap for my daughter. Really nice guy. Picked up a piece of Josh Uetsen art for the man cave. Booked a lower Sac drift. Picked up a couple of books on Montana. Didn't buy any big ticket items this year, but almost pulled the trigger on a bamboo rod. Added to the sticker collection and got my 10,000 steps in before noon.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.