Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Truckee

Gentlemen, I believe partly the issue here is where “normal” is measured. The Sierra snow water content for the state is currently a bit above the April 1 average, particularly in the central region as a whole (133%): http://cdec.water.ca.gov/reportapp/j...?name=PLOT_SWC

Furthermore the average for this date is obviously higher (now over 160% iirc), however when you look at basin specifics there is a wide variance as there always is. Within the Truckee basin itself there is also wide variance even: from as low as 106% at the Squaw Valley station to as high as 160% at Independance camp. So depending on where you check, and how you are checking there are substantially different numbers. We still have a bit to go, so it’s all still speculation at this point but it’s looking very positive so far. I like to look at the snow water content figures as they are the most relevant numbers we can get for future stream flow outlook; but even with those numbers there are so many variables as to how it all eventually melts into the rivers. I am pretty hopeful so far...

I think we can all be happy that the fish are going to be getting some extra water this year, possibly a lot, possibly a little. Regardless of the exact numbers, or further speculations, this is a welcome change from recent years, and a much needed one for so many reasons! Maybe I’m missing something, but there are probably more meaningful things to debate here? I seem to recal that there never was proper consensus or closure on the pineapples on pizza controversy?

Full disclosure: I’ve moved around enough I don’t get to claim local status anywhere anymore, and my previous predictions regarding weather, runoff, and fishing conditions have been known to be wrong more than I’d like to admit.
    JB
    Last edited by JasonB; 02-27-2019 at 06:06 PM.
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Jason,

Pineapple on pizza is a wonderful thing.
    As long as there is ham to accompany it.

Or is it Canadian bacon? What’s the difference
    between the two, a Canadian swine vs an
    American one? Uh oh, another debate

Eric

I prefer real bacon on everything! Bacon wrapped shrimp with a nice garlic butter marinade, scew em up and roll around on the bbq! Hell you could throw em on your pineapple pizza! Gentlemen enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kranhold View Post
    I prefer real bacon on everything! Bacon wrapped shrimp with a nice garlic butter marinade, scew em up and roll around on the bbq! Hell you could throw em on your pineapple pizza! Gentlemen enjoy
    Oh don’t underestimate me! I just might try that
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Ok, yer killing me...I'm having coffee right now, but somehow I have a hankerin'
    for some bacon wrapped shrimp.

Whazzup Mark!
    Fishing?
    Bacon wrapped.... we go with a bacon wrapped halibut when there is halibut in the freezer. If you have halibut it may be worth adding to the list.
    Being that I grew up at the southern end of the greater pizza belt, (DC area), and am of Italian descent, I was taught that pineapple does not have a place on pizza. However, having lived in CA most of my life and bing from a family of Californians and Washington Staters, I do see a lot of pineapple on pizza. So confused.

When I first came up to Truckee, I was told you have to be here 20 years to be a local...
    Now that I've been here 30 yrs I have the OK I guess to use the word.
    Ya don't have to be born here or even spend a decade here to report....But local to me, is someone who actually lives here.
    Not a report from the USGS flow report, or a call to the local fly shop from the other side of the crest.
    I prefer a report from those who look out their window and see conditions, or who play here every day.
    Visitors who come 3-4 times a month when it's good, will say things that don't add up to those who are after fish ALL the time.
    As a friend said after reading one poster...."if you didn't know any better, you'd think it was an accurate post."
    There are close to 30 days in a month.......put another way, 4 days a month for 12 months is 48 days....there are 365 days as I remember in the year....that means 10 1/2 months of no clue, or....guessing. Current conditions are more important than past experience.
    Not snotty I hope, but accurate for sure. Isn't that the main reason to read a post?
    I may not post as much, but every time I read a post that says conditions are tough or not fishy on the T, I will re-butt that stuff, because this is the best time of year to fish.........and the folks that live here (locals) are having a ball.
    John sv give a call sometime to walk some water.....and you too Jason!

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 03-07-2019 at 11:16 AM.
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

So if you fish and report back its not accurate because you don't live there? Wow... What else can you say? I guess we all have opinions but the arrogance and ignorance of that statement is just amazing to me. Your telling people its normal winter and we are breaking records. How is that accurate? If anything its misleading.

I hope people report and tell about there successes and failures. But when you read stuff that you write it just makes you hesitate because your replies are disrespectful. And remember doesn't make those reports less meaningful to me if they aren't parked in a van down by the river 24/7.
    Last edited by cdevine; 03-07-2019 at 05:14 PM.

cdevine-
    Fishing reports are like ski reports. If they come from a source vested in participation there will be a bias. Some are more biased than others. Guides are especially prone to exaggeration because not only do they want you to participate, they don't want to appear less successful than the other guy who is exaggerating. The ONLY guide I ever trusted for spot on, honest information completely devoid of ego or need for your business, was Bill Lowe. Sadly he is no longer with us. For the real deal, it is ALWAYS best, if any way possible, to cultivate a relationship with a local or frequent flier who doesn't have a dog in the race.
    Last edited by TigerLilly; 03-09-2019 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerLilly View Post
    cdevine-
    Fishing reports are like ski reports. If they come from a source vested in participation there will be a bias. Some are more biased than others. Guides are especially prone to exaggeration because not only do they want you to participate, they don't want to appear less successful than the other guy who is exaggerating. The ONLY guide I ever trusted for spot on, honest information completely devoid of ego or need for your business, was Bill Lowe. Sadly he is no longer with us. For the real deal, it is ALWAYS best, if any way possible, to cultivate a relationship with a local or frequent flier who doesn't have a dog in the race.

Tiger- I never met bill but heard many wonderful things about him from a lot of folks I respect. Sad that he left us so early.

What is that bright thing creeping thru the clouds... could it be the sun... nice.