Thread: Truckee

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Gentlemen, I believe partly the issue here is where “normal” is measured. The Sierra snow water content for the state is currently a bit above the April 1 average, particularly in the central region as a whole (133%): http://cdec.water.ca.gov/reportapp/j...?name=PLOT_SWC

Furthermore the average for this date is obviously higher (now over 160% iirc), however when you look at basin specifics there is a wide variance as there always is. Within the Truckee basin itself there is also wide variance even: from as low as 106% at the Squaw Valley station to as high as 160% at Independance camp. So depending on where you check, and how you are checking there are substantially different numbers. We still have a bit to go, so it’s all still speculation at this point but it’s looking very positive so far. I like to look at the snow water content figures as they are the most relevant numbers we can get for future stream flow outlook; but even with those numbers there are so many variables as to how it all eventually melts into the rivers. I am pretty hopeful so far...

I think we can all be happy that the fish are going to be getting some extra water this year, possibly a lot, possibly a little. Regardless of the exact numbers, or further speculations, this is a welcome change from recent years, and a much needed one for so many reasons! Maybe I’m missing something, but there are probably more meaningful things to debate here? I seem to recal that there never was proper consensus or closure on the pineapples on pizza controversy?

Full disclosure: I’ve moved around enough I don’t get to claim local status anywhere anymore, and my previous predictions regarding weather, runoff, and fishing conditions have been known to be wrong more than I’d like to admit.
    JB
    Last edited by JasonB; 02-27-2019 at 06:06 PM.
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown