Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truckee

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Truckee

Big snow and bitter cold temps. That is what is going on in the Sierra's. After this weekend snowpack should be between 140-150% of normal. Going to be a great water year. I can't wait for the river to come up during Spring.
    Got out on the Truckee and it was tough. Water temps are back down into the 36-38 range after hitting the lower 40's a couple weeks ago. Access closer to town of Truckee along with Parking is challenging due to snow/ice. Best bet is go "east" as far possible. I fished Nevada side and no issues with snow or anchor ice.
    Water clarity and flows are perfect. All of these storms are cold so we aren't seeing much melt or greening of the river. Size 22 olive baetis popping on cloudy days. Some skwala stones showing as well.

Probably a decent time to hit Pyramid if that is your thing. Looks like some big cutty's coming out.
    Or the slopes..... Some epic powder days ahead. This is that Utah stuff.

Yes the last storm was a duzy. Spent a hour and a half digging out my car Sunday morning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EA79D24D-5C47-4765-80EC-F66FF3FD4678.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	14595  

Yeah I was trying to get to Heavenly Sunday with the kiddos and no dice. Roads were closed. From some of the stats we are already > than entire snowfall last year and we still have a very wet Feb forecasted and the rest of March/April. Start to brush up on those high water tactics. There are going to be some hogs caught this spring.

When we start getting 100 degree temps in early summer, the snow melt
    is going to be something to behold. And the cabin fever is gonna suck.
    Won't be a ton of places to fish once it gets going in full swing.

Planning to horseback into the Emigrant again this year, but with all this snow
    I doubt it will be accessible until mid to late July.

Eric

Honestly it looks pretty normal around here (Truckee). Anecdotally in our yard when the neighbor's fence is covered it's a 'normal' snowpack. Just got covered.
    Water equiv for snowpack is a little above normal and after this upcoming round we are headed for prolonged no-precip. Sugar Bowl is at 360 inches on a 500 inch average.
    Looking good but we still need a lot more to finish the season at average.

Yeah I got into Ansel Adams Wilderness pretty deep last year in early July. But last year was below average precipitation as you probably recall. If we even have a below average March it won't be until late July this year that you can get into 10k+ type places. Right now we are standing anywhere from 130-140% of average with a major storm in the forecast this week. Snow levels look high but its its all good because it will be moisture rich and stick above 7500. I'm sure we will get some localized flooding and some of the foothill rivers will be blown. Mammoth already extended season too July 4th and that will most likely continue as we get these storms throughout FEB. I am getting a little stir crazy. Options are a bit limited right now.

Options are a bit limited? Man is that an understatement. We were supposed to be up on the Eel Thursday and Friday . . . I see the Eel at 40k cfs right now. Drifting might be imminent life threat. OPtions in my camp right now are Bar of America, Tourist Club, 50/50 Brewery, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by EricO View Post
    When we start getting 100 degree temps in early summer, the snow melt
    is going to be something to behold. And the cabin fever is gonna suck.
    Won't be a ton of places to fish once it gets going in full swing.

Planning to horseback into the Emigrant again this year, but with all this snow
    I doubt it will be accessible until mid to late July.

Eric
    It'll probably be epic! I'm looking forward to the High Lakes around the same time. The year before last we still had snow drifts across the road in late June but the lakes were incredible if you hiked in.
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.

Update 2-18
    Wow, what a winter. Impressive rain/snow totals. Looking like a 2010-11 type year. Hope it stays cold because a tropical express would be scary with all the snowpack. Good luck "finding" the river on the CA side. I tried "swimming" through the snow on a few of the pullouts and was unsuccessful. Snow walls are a good 4-5ft high+ until you get pretty far east. Doesn't mean there aren't any spots but you have to be careful and picky. I ended up in the battle born state and had a pretty good outing in the snow. River clarity and flows are good after peaking last week. Depending on where you are flows in the 600-800 range east of town.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1288.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	14609Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1289.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	14610

Quote Originally Posted by wineslob View Post
    It'll probably be epic! I'm looking forward to the High Lakes around the same time. The year before last we still had snow drifts across the road in late June but the lakes were incredible if you hiked in.
    Hey Slob....I sent you a PM. Check it out when you get a chance.

Thanks bro.

~Jeff