Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Truckee

Quote Originally Posted by EricO View Post
    When we start getting 100 degree temps in early summer, the snow melt
    is going to be something to behold. And the cabin fever is gonna suck.
    Won't be a ton of places to fish once it gets going in full swing.

Planning to horseback into the Emigrant again this year, but with all this snow
    I doubt it will be accessible until mid to late July.

Eric
    It'll probably be epic! I'm looking forward to the High Lakes around the same time. The year before last we still had snow drifts across the road in late June but the lakes were incredible if you hiked in.
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.

Update 2-18
    Wow, what a winter. Impressive rain/snow totals. Looking like a 2010-11 type year. Hope it stays cold because a tropical express would be scary with all the snowpack. Good luck "finding" the river on the CA side. I tried "swimming" through the snow on a few of the pullouts and was unsuccessful. Snow walls are a good 4-5ft high+ until you get pretty far east. Doesn't mean there aren't any spots but you have to be careful and picky. I ended up in the battle born state and had a pretty good outing in the snow. River clarity and flows are good after peaking last week. Depending on where you are flows in the 600-800 range east of town.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1288.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	14609Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1289.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	14610

Quote Originally Posted by wineslob View Post
    It'll probably be epic! I'm looking forward to the High Lakes around the same time. The year before last we still had snow drifts across the road in late June but the lakes were incredible if you hiked in.
    Hey Slob....I sent you a PM. Check it out when you get a chance.

Thanks bro.

~Jeff

With so much snow it's going to be a glorious spring and summer year in the Truckee.

Flows recently just jumped on Truckee to about 800-900 CFS depending on what side of the border you fish. (dumping out of Tahoe). Get ready to bring a big stick and tippet. No need for any leader shy stuff. I think 1k+ is going to be a level you need to get comfortable with for awhile given the winter we are having. Some real oinkers are going to be hooked this spring.

20190222_114239[1] by James Landis, on Flickr

Locals are having fun as always.....hardly tuff going......just your regular winter as far as I can tell....3-4ft on the flats.
    Fish are eating both dries and nymphs, both Browns and Bows.
    You will need snow shoes though....flows were up to 500cfs in town, 1200cfs down river..... and oh so good.

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 02-26-2019 at 01:26 PM.
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

Thumbs up Jim! Thanks for the stoke. My thoughts exactly- Feels kind of nice having the usual winter.

Regular winter......hmmmm.

I guess regular is defined now as record breaking months. (Feb most snow ever in Tahoe basin). Sierra's are 175%+ of "Normal" and we aren't into March yet which can be a very snowy period as well. Last year as an example. But I'm not a local so what do I know. What is a local btw? Born and raised there I would think? Not sure people who moved to Tahoe are locals. Sadly a lot of true locals have gotten displaced similar to what is going on in the bay. A lot of locals are in Nevada or central valley now.

Do I get a free pass because my family had a cabin up there as a kid? Almost 40 years now fishing that good ole truckee and loving every minute. Just fish and have fun. Don't need to be snooty about it. Most of us are just regular dudes having a good time and sharing our experiences.

Hope it wasn't me that touched the nerve. If I did I apologize. I'm just happy to see the normal amount of snow in the yards after a few years of not normal. Even 16-17 was a little low (yes I know it was record but in Truckee a lot if it was rain so the snow banks were not excessive)
    Usually we get a 3 week high pressure every winter. We haven't yet. If we do (not saying we will but if) we likely will end up slightly above average unless April nukes. Long range is starting to look ridge-y after a couple more wallopings. If the ridge doesn't show then yes it will be a lot of snow. So honestly it just looks like mid-march instead of February in my yard- ahead of schedule but not nuts. Average is supposed to be a ton of snow. I had to rake the roof this morning which is wonderful and should be the norm.
    I don't care who is local or not. I've been fortunate to live in Truckee for a good while and feel really lucky to do so. If you are here enjoying the snow or the rivers in the summer that's good enough for me as a qualification!
    Last edited by John Sv; 02-27-2019 at 02:57 PM.