Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB aluminum Pram

Default WTB aluminum Pram

Hello, I’m interested in buying an aluminum Pram 8 or 10 footer. Have seen a few posted in the part two years but have been late in the game to make an offer.

Thanks,

You need cash and a fast car or pickup?

You need to jump on them.....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Here you go.

https://redding.craigslist.org/boa/d...820726837.html

The ad says that the pram weighs in at about sixty-five pounds, which is very light for an aluminum pram. If you need to stand up and fish, it might not provide enough stability.
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

I can stand in the center of this pram but I’m fairly small. Don’t recommend it. Bring a pee bottle too cause you can’t get anywhere near the sides. I use mine in the lower Sac in the winter.

Those Redwood welding prams (same as above) slip the water very nice, plus they row somewhat nice, however they are very easy to fall out of because of the rounded bottom. When it comes to an 8 foot pram you simply can't have everything. You get a very easy rowing pram with a round bottom or you get a flat bottom pram that you can do a hand stand in, I would chose the flat bottomed pram for it's stability and comfort, if i want to row fast I would buy a motor....my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge

Not sure I understand the love affair some of you guys have with aluminum Pram? There's numerous nice inflatable out there that are more stable, and much less noisy. The inflatable might row like a bag of rocks but a person can add an electric to most then when you get to your desired area you can stand up without risking your life.

My opinion: if you insist on a hard sided craft a small drifter is a better way to go. Something like a Hyde 12'. You can even put a small Yamaha on the back and go just about anywhere, even moving water.

Idadon,

I don't have a "love affair" with my pram and actually don't know of anybody else doing that. Now after that being said I had a custom made Mental-head pram made for around $600.00 a few years back, it has a custom jet black paint job it also has custom gray ziolatone inside and all covered in a clear coat, I also have a 55 pound trust motor electric and a 2.5 4 stroke Yamaha, my pram is worth about 2 thousand any time I want to sell it, so as you can see it's also a very good investment and i will never ever lose a penny on, actually I will make money on it when I sell it...Can you say that about your float tube? and as far as telling me I need a 12 footer that's not true either...Have you ever packed a 12 footer on your back ? I just love people that know more about my fishing then I do.

Carl Blackledge
    Last edited by Carl Blackledge; 02-25-2019 at 06:55 PM.

Nope, never packed a 12' drifter on my back but I've muscled one into the back of my truck many times. Come to think of it, and having owned several prams, I really can't remember carting one of those around on my back either. They mostly went in my truck bed too. What I can recall is having them almost come out from under me when I stood up or made a quick movement. At my advanced age I've learned not to presume to know everything, especially somebody's fishing. I do however feel as qualified as most to dispense advice concerning boats as I've owned everything from canoes to cabin cruisers.

I have owned a Redwood Welding (Almarco) 8 ft pram (mini drifter) for at least 13 years. In the 70's I had a 8' TPL fiberglass pram and in the 80's I had a pair of Valcos, a 10' and a 12'...the 10 was stolen and I 12 may stil be in service of a guide on Fall River and Baum Lake. If I choose, I can stand & cast in the Redwood Pram with little effort, not just on stillwater lakes but (in the past) in the tidal areas of North Coast steelhead/salmon rivers (they did get manufacturerd in Cresent City). If you can find one, buy it.

PGW,

I have several buddies who own the Almarco prams and fish the North west rivers just as I do for Salmon and Steelhead, these guys are mostly old veterans and they realize the limitation of there prams, now after that being said I have seen at least a 1/2 dozen if not more guys fall out of there prams, every one was in a Almarco pram, I personally wouldn't own one, I'll take a flat bottomed Metal-head any day of the week. It's a fact the Almarco is about 15-20 pounds lighter then the Mental head, however I'll take a safe pram any-day as opposed to a tipsy one ...that's just me I guess. Last year on the Smith a buddy flipped his pram and lost it, took 3 days to find it with a fish finder, then he hired a skin diver to dive down and put a rope on it to drag it out...it was a farce, I felt really sorry for the guy. Whatever works for you is OK with me....just my 2 cents

Carl BlackledgeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	40-Pounder on a Fly.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	14620
    Last edited by Carl Blackledge; 02-25-2019 at 07:20 PM.