Thread: Needing a Kicker Motor Mount

Default Needing a Kicker Motor Mount

Planning on hauling my Gheenoe 15'4" from Idaho to South Texas next fall. I run a 4 stroke 9.9hp Suzuki on the Gheenoe. I normally leave the motor on the boat when fishing around home but Texas is an 1800 mile run and I'm worried that leaving the motor on the transom might cause some problems ( that 4 stroke is heavy). I'm looking to mount the motor upright, in front of the boat & winch stand. The trailer is a galvanized ShoreLander and beefy enough to support some kind of bracket. Once I get to Texas the Suzuki will go back on the transom.

Buying a bracket is cool. Home growing something is really cool too. The motor is a 2014 model with low hours so not looking to swap it out for a lighter 2 stroke.

Thanks in advance for ideas.
    Last edited by Idadon; 02-08-2019 at 03:57 PM.

I had a 12' Columbian skiff that Bill Kiene owned previously, and needed to fabricate a bracket for a bow trolling motor. I did a design in my head, put it on paper, and ordered the aluminum I needed from eBay. I don't think I had $25 in it including stainless hardware; I don't have the capability to weld aluminum. You could use steel if welding helps, and you have a welder available. I'm sure you can do the same by just staring at the trailer and trying out positions with the motor.

Thinking about it, it would seem that even a wood system with maybe extended 2x4s where the motor would slip in and through bolted to the winch stand or secured to a vertical 2x4 with screw clamps

Not sure what you are towing with but lots of tongue weight on the trailer is an issue I would avoid. If you are using a pickup to tow with you can make a motor mount at the back of the bed using a stake pocket near the tailgate or perhaps attached to the bumper. A mount for a spare tire can make a good basis for a kicker motor mount.

Here are some ideas at the etrailer website
    https://www.etrailer.com/Spare-Tire-...SABEgIHyfD_BwE

Thanks for the idea. I hadn't thought about a clamp-on spare tire carrier. Might work with some modifications. I'm trying to keep the bed of the pickup free to haul necessities for a 5-6 month stay and still close & lock the Lo-Pro cover. The extra weight of the motor transferred forward would actually be of some benefit (I think). It acts like the rig weight distribution isn't ideal as it is, OK for short trips but not extended ones. I've got till early October to figure it out so should be able to figure out something.

Thanks Guys!!!