Thread: the ugly duckling

Default the ugly duckling

Does anyone know this fly? I've recently read a magazine article about this fly being a great imitation of an emerging midge stuck in the film. So if you have this pattern and/or a pic, I'd be much obliged.

I did a quick Google search and found at least four different midge patterns called the Ugly Duckling.
    You shoulda been here yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by SST Flies View Post
    I did a quick Google search and found at least four different midge patterns called the Ugly Duckling.
    Thanks SST for looking... I looked but can't find anyting that seems to be the right one.

Hope this helps. Follow this link:

https://www.coflyfishers.org/resourc...ews/news10.pdf

Go down until you get to page 8 and the Tyers Corner. It's actually a very simple fly on a size 16 dry fly hook. They use a body of 1/8 inch black foam tied in at front of hook with its length reaching to the end of hook. The head is tied with reddish orange 1/8 inch foam. Where the foam comes together at the front of the hook they use a 1/2 inch segment of white antron tied like a bow tie.

The ugly duckling in that article is surely an ugly duckling and would not catch a fish on Putah. Simple flies with thread and a CDC wing work best..Also just thread and a few wraps of hackle behind the eye are good.