Thread: Pyramid Report 1/29/19

Default Pyramid Report 1/29/2019

Alright gang, here's "another one of those Pyramid reports".

Well, after SURVIVING a bout with the flu........which lasted for two miserable weeks .........I did a half-day trip today.

In the water @ 11:00 and sloshed out @ 5:30 at an "undisclosed southern beach".
    Gotta' like the days getting longer too.

The skies were overcast till about 2:00 and then the sunshine appeared.
    The winds were light today coming from the south in the morning and then switching to the north in the afternoon.

Yep, it was a Blue-Bird day today, very warm too.

My tally for the day was 1 for 2.
    The fish I missed, and the rat that I landed, ate the "Cherry Bomb Midge" pattern.
    Numbers weren't important for me today as I was just happy to be well again and out fishing.

My pal Carmen was there too (at dark o'thirty) and left just after lunchtime and I believe he said he landed 8 and lost a half dozen others.
    Good job Carmen........you know those numbers are minimums for you now !!!!!!

All in all, I was happy that I didn't need come home and take a bath in tomato juice to get the skunk smell off of me.

So there you have it again........."another one of those Pyramid reports".

Bob
    Last edited by BS; 03-22-2019 at 08:30 PM.

thanks Bob you are my barometer

Thanks Bob....we appreciate your nice contribution to the message board.

What would be a good month for a new comer to go to Pyramid to hook anything?

What would you saw are the annual months that it fishes up there from the shore?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Thanks Bob....we appreciate your nice contribution to the message board.

What would be a good month for a new comer to go to Pyramid to hook anything?

What would you saw are the annual months that it fishes up there from the shore?
    Well Bill, here's what I've observed thus far.
    Now mind you, I'm just an average Joe, a hack, and a guy that likes to fish.
    I ONLY wade the shore(s) and my thoughts are from those perspectives only.

If I were a "new comer" and only had one chance/month per year to fish Pyramid, I think I'd try to fish somewhere between the middle of October to the middle of November avoiding the full moon by at least 1 week prior and/or 1 week after.
    The Tui's would still be around and the water temperature shouldn't/wouldn't have dropped low enough to put the fish into their slow metabolism/occasional winter feeding mode (such as the fish are in right now).
    Also, during that time frame, the crowds don't seem too bad (at least mid-week) either.

As far as what annual months it fishes from shore........I'd say every month after the opener in October (preferably after mid-October) thru the end of April.
    There are fish to be caught in the winter months, however, winter is much slower as far as numbers are concerned.
    I had a really tough time last spring watching very large schools of "Zombies" swimming back and forth just feet in front of me with nary a strike. To me, that was a big clue that it was time to "stick a fork in it" till mid-October.

I know lots of people like to fish during the late spring at Pyramid but there are some "Honey Holes" near me that I like to play at during the springtime/early summer.

And finally, the "ladder line-ups" in the spring at the beaches near the hatchery don't do much for me either.

I know lots of the "Pyramid Veterans" out there don't agree (all or in part) with my observations, but, as I earlier stated, "I'm just an average Joe, a hack, and a guy that likes to fish".

O.K. guys, bust my chops if I'm out of line here....................

Bob

Fascinating info Bob......

You don't use a ladder?

So, If an old friend from Ohio was coming once a year to fish Pyramid Lake with me he should come around first of November?

In the 1970s we always had an annual trip in the winter, like about now, with the old California Fly Fishermen Unlimited from

Sacramento, California.

We waded with ladders and just use our fiberglass 9 weight Steelhead rods with 25' of lead core.

We striped a big dark bushy woolly worm and smaller light colored fly on a dropper in front of that.

I tell this story about the full moon:

We got up there maybe on a Friday night in the 1970s and went into a big job trailer and bought a license from the Native

Americans.

An old Indian was sitting in a chair inside the trailer to stay warm so I walked over to him.

I asked him how the fishing was and he said, "Big moon, no fish,"

Naturally, our group had a legendary bad weekend trip.

I believe that the full moon negatively effects the fishing in lakes and the ocean more than rivers.

Thanks Bob.....

Over my lifetime I usually find someone who fishing the hell out of a place and then slowly and respectively try to glean some

good advice from them that I can save in the old brain to share with others who are headed there.

I do know a lot about a lot of fisheries around the world, but it is not my information. It is information from serious anglers and

fishing guides.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Fascinating info Bob......

You don't use a ladder?

So, If an old friend from Ohio was coming once a year to fish Pyramid Lake with me he should come around first of November?

In the 1970s we always had an annual trip in the winter, like about now, with the old California Fly Fishermen Unlimited from

Sacramento, California.

We waded with ladders and just use our fiberglass 9 weight Steelhead rods with 25' of lead core.

We striped a big dark bushy woolly worm and smaller light colored fly on a dropper in front of that.

I tell this story about the full moon:

We got up there maybe on a Friday night in the 1970s and went into a big job trailer and bought a license from the Native

Americans.

An old Indian was sitting in a chair inside the trailer to stay warm so I walked over to him.

I asked him how the fishing was and he said, "Big moon, no fish,"

Naturally, our group had a legendary bad weekend trip.

I believe that the full moon negatively effects the fishing in lakes and the ocean more than rivers.

Thanks Bob.....

Over my lifetime I usually find someone who fishing the hell out of a place and then slowly and respectively try to glean some

good advice from them that I can save in the old brain to share with others who are headed there.

I do know a lot about a lot of fisheries around the world, but it is not my information. It is information from serious anglers and

fishing guides.
    Nope, I don't use a ladder.
    Much has been written about the benefits and the drawbacks of using a ladder to fish Pyramid.
    I believe in the "ladders push the fish further out" camp and at times I'll move up and down a beach fishing the fast steeper/deeper drop offs then move to the more gentle sloping shallow areas to try and find what the fish prefer that day, hence my usual "undisclosed southern beach that I frequent" selection.
    And, my fishing rig (Jeep Grand Cherokee) is rather "interior space challenged" for transporting one of those nice cushy ladders.

My "comfortable wading depth" is between my hips to my knees, and I use my 5 mil neoprene chest waders for warmth too.

I, and this is just my preference, love that 30 day window between mid October thru mid November.
    I have no doubt that you and your friend from Ohio would do quite well using some kind of Tui pattern(s), either stripping or 'catoring, during that window.

Perhaps we can get some others to chime in and tell us their favorite "window" to fish Pyramid.
    No need for anyone to disclose beaches, fly patterns, or techniques, just your favorite 30 day window to fish Pyramid. So, kind of an "unofficial poll".
    I'd love to hear what others have to say too !!!!

And Bill, that "Big moon, no fish" story was burned into my head the first time I read it.
    I love that story !!!!!!!

Off to the garage to grind some guide feet for a couple of upcoming rod builds............

Bob