Thread: Fly fishing in Mazatlan

Default Fly fishing in Mazatlan

I’m headed down to Mazatlan soon for a family vacation for 1 week, staying at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay, which is on the north side of Mazatlan, around the point. I’d like to try to fish in the early mornings before the kids get going.

If anyone can provide gear and fly recommendations, I would really appreciate it.

I have a decent selection of 8-9 wt rods, reels and lines. I also have a 12 wt rod and reels. I can pack a medium duty spinning rod with 15# line as well if that makes more sense.

Thank you.

My experience is 20 years ago, but; I body-surfed that same beach on a big surf day in July; warm water temps of 90 had put off the offshore bite. I quickly noticed that I was intermittently surrounded by 3-5 inch baitfish schools jumping like crazy. Of course my rod was back at the condo; 20 yrs ago that was 5 miles south. Careful observation showed jacks or similar herding the schools into the troughs at about 4 feet deep. I suppose with a basket from knee deep I might have been able to fish; but from where I was standing one had to swim with every wave. 5 lb jacks are an 8 wt fish, need salt water drag and 200 yds backing. Jacks often over 40 lb; that's a 12 wt fish. Roosters also in some areas. Carl Blackledge on Dan Blanton's board has several posts about Roosters.

April through November is the big window for Baja fly fishing.

Spring and Fall are the most popular for serious fishing only trips.

Most use an 8 to 10 weight 9' fly rod wading in the surf.

A weight forward floating line like a Rio Outbound Short.

I think a light colored #2/0 to #2 Clouser would be a good choice.

Real early morning is usually a good time to find some Jacks busting bait against the shore.

Mike, Post this on Dan Blanton's message board too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Mike,

I haven't fished in that area for 40 years, however i don't remember it being any good, or if it was good it doesn't stand out in my little brain If I can be any assistance to you please send me an email carlblackiedge@aol.com

Carl Blackledge