Thread: Swinging flies on the American

Default Swinging flies on the American

Just curious, do the fish still take flies on the swing in the upper river (Sailor Bar to Sunrise) or is it better to concentrate on the lower river for a swung fly? I ask because I've heard that the fish generally lockup in the upper river and indicator fishing is more effective in that stretch.

Swinging works well throughout the whole river, just depends on how fresh the fish are and how long they’ve been in the system. Steelhead do revert to the trouty takes the longer they’ve been in fresh water. Swinging down low is much more enjoyable, away from the combat crowds!

Swinging flies on the American river is always effective Especially since the temperatures are so moderate

Have confidence. I have done very well over a long period of time
    There is a fine line between fishing and standing there like an idiot!

I am 90’s style - still puff ball aka yarn indicator. Fish are in there for sure. I havenypicked up a fish in the last 10 years less than 6 lbs - aka my small fish. I usually drift with a large generic nymph on top with a smaller egg dropper on the bottom. Has worked for me.

My problem with the upper river, besides the crowds, is the fact that the fish tend to be much darker and in worse shape as you get above Sunrise. Even though it’s a short distance, fish from even as far up as Effie Yeaw seem much brighter, though farther between, than fish further up. It all swings well in the right spots, I’ll just take the lower river.

Most believe that they further down a long drainage the fresher the fish usually are.

These fish should be grabbyer too.

Captain Andy Guibord said the best fishing / most fish were above Sunrise.

He prefers to fish below Sunrise looking for less competition and fresher fish on average.

Andy is using a sink-tip, short leader with a small leech or small Intruder in black.

Andy is usually guiding now on the weekdays and working at Kiene's on the weekends.

Lots of people go in there on the weekends to meet up with Andy for some good advise.

https://andyguibord.wordpress.com/guiding-instruction/

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Whoa there chubb, no need to invoke the name of that latter location online!

A longtime favorite.