Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coastal Time?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
    I would go with Plan B.
    Also a good variant, plan b should always be!

So, it looks like we are going with Plan B. Cutting the trip form 4 days to 3 makes the drive up to the Smith just too damn long for that many days. Especially for one coming from Santa Barbara! We will be staying up in Lewi around Bucktail. Probably head down to the J.C. area and do one of those drifts. We are fishing through Monday, if you come across a white and blue Hyde XL Low Pro with two dudes say hi and swap lies and a beer!

Anyone been down the canyon from DC to JC? Any hazards to be aware of?

Tight lines all!

Jay

Jay,
    Check out the following:
    http://publiclands.org/pdf/CA/TrinityRiver.pdf

Best,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

Quote Originally Posted by Larry S View Post
    Jay,
    Check out the following:
    http://publiclands.org/pdf/CA/TrinityRiver.pdf

Best,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego
    Thanks Larry, I forgot about that site.

Quote Originally Posted by BumpBailey View Post
    Thanks Larry, I forgot about that site.
    Trinity is going to fish great this weekend, conditions should be about perfect though with the perfect conditions may come the boat hatch...

I am severely tempted to go fish the old reliable T, but have convinced myself to spend perhaps my one and only free weekend until March "trying something new..." so we will see how that goes...

@PV,
    On Michigan's AuSable River, we call the arrival of canoes, kayaks, float tubes, and the like
    the "aluminus flotilla" hatch. Incredible! Wading fly folks beware.
    Best,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

So how did it fish this weekend?

Looks like another big wet weekend on the way...hope you jumped through that window even if it was not "perfect". Seems like once the rivers drop out again up north (and I finally get my window) we might be fishing for downers

Some years it hardly ever gets fishable from too much rain to no rain.

February is a top month.....or can be for winter Steelhead.

All the ground is saturated and the flows are/can be more consistent.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

We made it up to Lewiston Friday night and fished pretty hard through Monday. Boat traffic really wasn't that bad. Saturday we floated from Evans Bar to J.C. Campground. Saw maybe 4 others boats but, as they were anchoring up we got in front of them. It ended up being a shortish drift for us as yours truly went for a swim! Adam hooked up at the top end of Sky Ranch. I beached the boat and we landed our first fish of the trip right around 10:00 am. Just after that, in my excitement to get in, I literally got in and took my swim. Which ultimately lead to a first time experience for me. Naked Steelheading!.... After Adam was done laughing at me and after I was out of my waders, out off all of the wet clothes... all but a dry sweat shirt, Adam hooks another. I am standing on the cobble, in all my glory, wringing out my long johns and he says he needs help! Can't land it so hands me the rod as he grabs the net. I am butt naked from the waist down(just waiting for the Flotilla to arrive!) and the fish goes on a run, twice! Thankfully, Adam was the only one who had to actually witness that. We pretty much just drifted to JC after that and went back to Lewiston and finished the day walking and wading after I dried out. 2 for the day and I LDR'd one. Sunday we floated from JC Camp to Bahgdad and we were in front again. Only saw two other boats on Sunday. Adam got two more and I got a nice brownie on the swing. Took another dip, lost my balance and did the ol' sit down! Not quite as bad as Saturday's and this time I had spare gear stashed. So, no naked fishing on this day... Monday we floated from Bucktail to Steelbridge and came across one other boat at the launch, they were heading to Indian Creek and we never saw them again. Two more steelies on Monday with one a nice 24" Buck just above Steelbridge. Great end to the day/weekend and another great weekend on the Trinity! From what we heard from others, it seems the fishing was tough. Nobody reported more than one fish and we didn't see any other fish than those we hooked. No risers, no runners. Just not a lot of signs of them. Even though my luck wasn't the best this weekend but, I know it definitely could have been a lot worse! Thankfully, it really wasn't that cold!

Great story! Haha!