Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coastal Time?

Default Coastal Time?

So, I have a family window that will allow me 4 days to fish starting this Saturday. Timing might be perfect. Or, I might be a little early. But, I gotta window and I am going through it! My hope is that some of our coastal rivers will be in prime shape come the weekend. Really want to fish The Eel but I doubt the main stem of the Eel river will be fishable at all. But, hopefully, the S. Fork should be good by Monday. As far as the weekend goes, I am kind of thinking about going big and maybe heading all the way up to the Smith. I know it is a tough river to figure out, but you have to start sometime. Where does a two-handed swinger start off on the Smith? Is it walk and wade friendly or, bring the drift-boat? Shuttle services up there? Any other suggestions were you in my shoes? Anyone else have plans on being up that way?

I don't think this weekend looks great yet...middle of next week...different story. Maybe some of the rivers that drop out quickly will be back in shape by Saturday Sunday, but the flow projections are still pretty high for the weekend...

Still, fish like a dropping river and if you can find the right water color with good edges...

Wade carefully!

The Mad may clear in time for your trip. You would pass it on the way up to the Smith anyway so it is worth a look. Much more fly / walk and wade friendly. The Smith is big and pushy, hard to fish with a two hander and very crowded. You can bring the boat, there are shuttles, but the runs is reasonably short, the bait guys will do it twice in a day. I would suggest going to the Chetco and bring your boat. Now is the time for fresh fish and they have had a good run so far

Bump,

Don't make a trip up north without doing your home work. The Smith and the Chetco were both just in Flood stage. Call the Chetco outdoor store and ask befour driving up there for nothing. Perhaps another week or 10 days for fly fishing-Maybe

Carl Blackledge

Just fish it. High water then they are in against the bank.

Best to fish the drop and should be dropping.

Flood. Hell fish the parking lot
    There is a fine line between fishing and standing there like an idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by DAVID95670 View Post
    Just fish it. High water then they are in against the bank.

Best to fish the drop and should be dropping.

Flood. Hell fish the parking lot
    I agree with this. If you only fish during prime conditions you may not fish much at all. I have caught steelhead in mud and low clear water,and everything in between. There should be somewhere fishable somewhere ,just look at the guages and call around.

The gauges are a tease! Watch and pray, watch and pray! And so I do.....

David your spot on and I agree too. This is as a good a chance to fish the drop as I might get this year. So I am thinking we have to take it! We are back and forth on two options. The Smith for 4 days... We’ll consider it the first of our learning curve for that river. Neither of us have fished it so we are going there blind. Plan B is to hit the ol’ reliable Trinity for the weekend and then maybe hop over to the coast and hit the S. Fork Eel on Monday and Tuesday or, if not favorable conditions, keep hammering the T.

Any ideas on what the ideal flows are on the Smith for swinging?

The family window is wonderful .. I envy you kindly, since I cannot afford this! I watched the weather forecast, now cyclones and a sharp change in the weather. Do you think this will greatly affect the fish?

I would go with Plan B.

Bump,
    River stage in Jed Smith park is at 10.71 feet. That should be fishable.
    If you don't mind paying the day use fee there's good two-handed water right
    at the boat launching spot in the park (Chub Rock) and even below Pyramid
    Rock down stream a bit. There are times when the aluminus flotilla hatch
    interrupts your casting. Downstream, below the 199 bridge is Templeton
    Grove. Lots of casting room and should be less boat traffic.
    What a beautiful stream in a fantastic setting!
    Hope you post a report.
    Best,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego