Thread: Truckee Nevada side flows and clearing

Default Truckee Nevada side flows and clearing

Hi All,

Can anyone provide their thoughts on how fast the Nevada side of the Truckee clears?

Would like to fish it this weekend, but I see the flows went from high 300s to currently
    high 800s, but it's dropping fast.

I assume it's muddy right now, but wondering if it's typically fishable in a couple days?

Thanks in advance!

EricO

imagejpeg_0 (2) by James Landis, on Flickr

Big water is good! This Brown was my first drift of the day....I was supposed to be teaching....I guess I was.
    We hunt fish this time of year, that are big enough you can't get your thumb up over their dorsal fin.
    I have become a snob about this over time....that's what the T will do to ya!
    You can see, there was about a foot or so of visibility...it had cleared about two days before we went. Perfect!

EricO
    NV side is bigger than the CA. side this time of year, and has more variables....if it's too big or off....drive up hill.....
    After fishing the T for 30yrs, I have learned how to fish the flows we get intermittently in winter/spring.
    No way I'm taking the winter off........
    We are experiencing a warm winter so far....it rained most of the night at Alpine mdws last night.
    Had a river in the parking lot...which of course leads to higher water........
    Most people were taught that brown or silty green is not fishy. Not so.........
    Locals think (not just me) that it is some of the best fishing of the year. We wait patiently for these conditions.
    There are good reasons for this.
    First, most fair weather fishers stay home, that leaves more water for us....and fish think we aren't after them because of that.
    Secondly, the off color water makes fish feel safe..... osprey and Eagles are out of luck.
    And the fish can't see you when you are standing next to them....and, a heavier leader will work too.
    Third, there is lots of food scoured-up too, which they like..
    Fourth, the fish get pushed to the bank...............
    Just to be safe, I should say we are not wading. There are more than a few places I can cross at 600cfs, but I know where they are......personal best crossing was a buddy wade last year at 1100cfs.
    Last year my "luckiest" winter day out, it was at 2200cfs....so 800cfs is doable, with the right nymphing set-up.
    I like 11ft rods, and a l-o-n-g handled net......they won't volunteer to come up on the bank...
    If you are sharp eyed, you might even see one eat a dry. The bugs don't stop popping......watch eddies and slack water.
    I don't think it will clear too much by this weekend, due to a warm trend.
    Watch the weather for daytime temps that are below freezing for a couple days before, if you want to try and time it.
    Give a shout if you want to walk the water sometime.

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 01-17-2019 at 03:14 PM.
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

Thanks for the details Jim, appreciate it. Real good and helpful info.

I was going to bring my somewhere smaller net, but I'll go with the
    telescoping based on your recommendation.

Thanks again,
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by EricO View Post
    Thanks for the details Jim, appreciate it. Real good and helpful info.

I was going to bring my somewhere smaller net, but I'll go with the
    telescoping based on your recommendation.

Thanks again,
    Eric
    I had a buddy hook-up last year in almost 3000cfs with a sz 18 BWO dry........on a switch rod.
    He had to seriously chase the fish (read sprint), AND get his net extended at the same time. Captured on vid.
    Hilarious/not a bit funny.
    The lesson.....have it extended before you hook up, and always be ready to run.
    I recommend not fishing anywhere you CAN'T run.....
    I like about 100yds of unimpeded bank just in case. I started with a cute Brookee net here, and now need a boat net.
    Never bring the small net to the T, because you might have to fold them........
    When nymphing the bigger flows, we use 3-5 ABs or AAAs from Dunsmore.
    Have fun....

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 01-17-2019 at 04:54 PM.
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

Lol...I'll do my best to sprint in my Simms Freestones if I hook up.

Or just hand my buddy the net and tell him to run.

Eric

This has worked for me on the T.
    Green swollen is good and often you will see biggest fish of year landed.
    Brown swollen w/ debris not so much.
    Clear and low =tougher.
    Get out there and you will be fine. Get to go 2-3x with no issues and don’t discount the “squirmy”
    I’m a much more cautious wader now than younger days. Boy I took some stupid risk. I’m sure we can all relate. Be careful and have fun.

Glad we got a big dump up top. I’m in Utah and they just got biggest storm in a couple years. Snowpack here is +125% of normal. Tough to beat these powder days.
    Last edited by cdevine; 01-18-2019 at 06:45 PM.

Any strategies on how to not lose a bunch of flies fishing the T high flows? I fished it once at high flows and lost most of my flies which was not very fun.
    Keep Calm and Fly Fish
    https://keepcalmandflyfish.com/

I often tandem nymph but during high water I will switch to single. Better to lose 1 than entire rig. Keep it simple and 2x floro or less.
    No issues with leader shyness. Also no need to perfect that 40-50ft cast. Most fish will be at your feet near bank. Tight line nymphing technique. You will lose flies. But you also might tangle with a beast. That high water year on Truckee a couple years ago saw some of best results at 2k CFS+. Good luck!