Thread: Classic Spinning reel id/value

Default Classic Spinning reel id/value

Hi,
    A pal was cleaning out his closet and brought in some old reels. He was going to toss them or put them in the thrift shop but I was wondering if someone here was interested and knew about them. They all need work.

Mitchell 300. This is one of the real deal old ones, maybe 60s. Do they have collectable value or are there just too many of them.

Daiwa mini spin, looks like late 70s early 80s. Looks like a cool old creekin' reel.
    Same reel but it is a through-the-rod-handle-post mount.

Thanks in advance

The iconic Garcia Mitchell 300 spinning reel was the Ford Model A of spinning reels to come to America after World War 2 from France.

I think nylon monofilament was invented during WW2 also.

I know they do rod and reel repair at Fishermen's Warehouse on Folsom Blvd.

Maybe they would enjoy having them?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Not much of market for either reel especially if they need work. The Mitchell use to be a sought after reel but the market is now saturated with vintage Mitchell 300. As for the Daiwa Minispin the reel alone isn't worth much but if he had the whole setup (rod, reel, & case) he would have a very sought after item that in good condition would sell for $80-$125.

Thanks guys!!!

Seems like old spinning gear doesn’t have the appeal (or crazy collectors with more money than sense) that the vintage fly community has. I’ve got a near mint condition Airex Mastereel (I believe the first widely available spinning reel) that my dad bought during the Korean War, not particularly valuable but a beautiful reel.

I have 3 Mitchell 300 spinning reels from the late 50's. One of the first Mitchell's that was on the market. I remember using them when I was around 10 or 11. I got these reels for Christmas. They still work but I need to open them up and take out the old grease, again. I remember they came with two spools, one shallow and one deep. I also have a few Quick 330's. Thought about selling them but I know I won't get much for them. I could probably get more at a garage sale than on line.

Quote Originally Posted by Baja Fly Fisher View Post
    I have 3 Mitchell 300 spinning reels from the late 50's. One of the first Mitchell's that was on the market. I remember using them when I was around 10 or 11. I got these reels for Christmas. They still work but I need to open them up and take out the old grease, again. I remember they came with two spools, one shallow and one deep. I also have a few Quick 330's. Thought about selling them but I know I won't get much for them. I could probably get more at a garage sale than on line.
    The DAM Quick were so much better than the Mitchell; bronze gears, etc. I had the Mitchell’s and lusted for a Quick 330. Still have Dad’s 440, if I fished the salt I’d be using it.
    Robert