Thread: First timer to the Madison, looking for any recommendations.

Default First timer to the Madison, looking for any recommendations.

Hello,
    A few friends and I are planning our first trip out to fish the Madison River in Montana. I will be taking my drift boat and some float tubes with us as we would like to do some still water while we are there. As of right now, we are looking at going in mid July and plan on going to the Ennis area. I am looking for any recommendations on where to stay, good restaurants, things to go see or do when were not fishing. Also, does anyone have an good recommendation on a stillwater to hit withing a few hours of Ennis?

Thanks for your time, I really appreciate and advice!

Brad

Mid July is good, but crowded on the Upper Madison. You may drift from Lyons Bridge to Ennis (but that's 3 different "day" floats). The Lower Madison, below Ennis Lake to Grey Cliff, is good too plus you get the added benefit of seeing the Bikini/innertube hatch from below the lake to the Black's Ford launch. Cliff Lake & Hebgen Lake offer good float tube fishing then as well.

Lodging in Ennis: at one time or another I've used Rainbow Valley Lodge, El Western Motel, Riverside Motel, and Lure Me Inn (my wife's favorite).

Resturants are all over but don't pass up a dinner at The McAllister Inn...great beef (& they have a motel too).

The Tackle Shop in Ennis would be my 1st choice for info, followed by Trout Stalkers.

Every place I listed has a website.

Have fun.

Thanks PGW.......wonderful information.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

The Gravel Bar has good food and cheap cocktails. Willie's Distillery is a cool spot as well. MRFC is now owned by TroutStalkers, both are quality.

Awesome, Thanks for the info guys! That was just what I needed! I appreciate your responses and cant wait to further plan this trip!

Cheers,

Brad

Wading can be very productive at 3 Dollar bridge and Reynolds bridge just down stream from the Slide Inn fly shop. probably 1/2 hour east of Ennis. Mid July you may be able to still get into the golden stones throwing big dries. Caddis, Ants, small hoppers and rusty spinners will be the ticket. Streamer fishing in the AM can be great as well. There are some big strong fish in there. The Grizzly Bar has good food and drinks (a bit expensive though). Just east of the Slide Inn (15min) is a great breakfast place called Campfire Lodge Resort. Best breakfast in the area. Can get a bit crowded. Another option in Ennis is O'Dell spring creek. Rod cost is only $40-50. We fished it the same time of year with hoppers and did well.
    Last edited by Jepatock; 01-16-2019 at 08:59 AM.
    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.