Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many days, what species, and where did you fish this year?

Default How many days, what species, and where did you fish this year?

Thinking about my 2018 days on the water I came up with these numbers. I’m originally from Hawaii, live in Sacramento and my daughter goes to college in Oregon. Think I fished about 40-45 days. Mostly half days. Worked so much overtime getting out was necessary.

Hawaiian Bonefish - 10 days (guide day with Ed Tamai from Nervous Water)
    California Trout and Steelhead - 5 days
    Oregon Steelhead - 5 days (guide day with Alex from Rogue Valley Anglers)
    California delta / American river striped bass - 20 days (1 trip with Maury Hatch)
    American river Shad- 5 days

How about you ?
    "Safety was never compromised." Laura Brown, FAA spokeswoman

I was fortunate to get quite a few days on the Yuba in winter and early spring to relearn it after the floods of 2017. A lot of nice trout on dry flies.

Sac River stripers, Sac River trout

A great trip to Central Utah to fish a bunch of Colorado River headwaters streams and lakes. Lots of nice Cutties, browns and brookies.

Assorted days here and there around the Sierra and

One two day skunk on Pyramid Lake.

Didn’t really keep count, probably fished 50ish days

The highlights were 5 days on the North Umpqua, 10ish days on the Trinity, handful of days each on the Yuba and Truckee, and exploratory missions elsewhere

It was a good year - will be kicking off 2019 with a New Years Day expedition somewhere

Aloha Billy, had a lot of fun this year. Guiding in Hawaii kept me busy, but had some fun trips and great fishing here on the Big Island.
    Took a trip to CI in April, lots of bones, triggers, and GT's. Kenai Alaska for trout opener in June was a blast. One day offshore for halibut. Great ahi season this past summer with 10 ahi over 100lbs. New Orleans in October for redfish and a day in Pensacola florida for redfish and speckled trout. Awesome year on the Big Island for bonefish over 150 this year last one about two hours ago. Lots of mahi and ono action and some bottom fishing when things were slow offshore. Lucky to live in Hawaii, Mems.
    Don Memmer

I fished 200+ plus days in 2018. Live close to the lower Sac for steelhead and trout. Also had a few days on the the Klamath and Trinity. Retirement is great!

I think I fished around 70 days in 2018. It is interesting to think about the year past and the year ahead. Most of the fishing I did is on the photography page so I won’t list it.

The best of the year for me was the canoe fishing. I remember standing in the water landing a 20 inch smallmouth, hearing my dog barking and looking back to see an 800 pound moose crashing through the trees behind me. That was a pretty good moment from 2018. Hard to believe a 40 pound dog can chase off an 800 pound moose. I made a six minute video if you want to check out some canoe fishing for pike and smallmouth.

https://vimeo.com/279359606

The low point of the year had to be the unrelenting fires in California. I hope we don’t have a fire year like this again but I am afraid we might.

Hopefully 2019 will be a good one with some new experiences. Maybe the Wind River Mountains in Wyoming.

Get out there and make it happen.
    Last edited by John H; 12-31-2018 at 05:49 PM.

I fished 100 days in 2018 according to my journal. I fished in Chili, Argentina, Mexico, Louisiana, and of course Alaska where I live.

Don,
    I’ve got to come join you on the Big Island. Truly a special place on the planet. Hau’oli makahiki hou!
    Last edited by BillyB; 01-01-2019 at 12:03 PM.
    "Safety was never compromised." Laura Brown, FAA spokeswoman

Not enough...

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog8404 View Post
    Not enough...
    Best answer so far! Love it.

I didn't count days either but do keep a journal most of the time as well. Highlight is getting my boys more into fishing and had some great days both together and with guides. My oldest is a heck of an angler. I hope he keeps it up because fishing and everything that goes with it has been one of the best things in my life.

Some of my highlights.
    Couple Eastern Sierra's backpack trip(s) for Goldens/Rainbows/Brooks
    Lower Sac
    Upper Sac/Mcloud/Pitt Trip
    Burney Falls Triip
    Truckee and East Walker- Often (exploring more of NV water)

Look forward to a trip to SunRiver/Bend this summer and plan on fishing Deshutes and a lot of water around Central/Southern Oregon. Still haven't really gotten into Steelhead. Sort of like avoiding what you know may change your life. Maybe its time...

Good luck in 2019. Really happy to see how good overall the systems in CA/NV we fish are doing.