Thread: Pyramid Report 1/8/2019

Default Pyramid Report 1/8/2019

Here we go again !!!!!!

Had a chance to fish Pyramid a half day today.

The wife has had/still has the flu for the last 2 days and the grandson is back in school after Christmas Vacation.

I walked the grandson to the bus stop this morning and realized.....................I have the rest of the day free.
    I did a minimalist "pack the car job", downed more coffee, and off I went.

Arrived at "that southern beach" about 11:30 and suited up.

I was VERY anxious to test out my indy rig with the "offset hook" idea as well as tying my top fly off a tag end of my leader.

Just after I got in the water I realized the fellow fishing next to me was coltss, (Bob) from this forum
    I guess I was a little too focused on my experiment(s) and didn't recognize you sooner.........Sorry Bob, and good to see you out there again.
    And THANK YOU for letting me "try out" your ladder while you ate lunch !!!!
    I don't know though, If I did get one of those nice cozy custom ladders I might not make it home for three or four days straight.
    I can see it now.............fish....sleep, fish....sleep, fish....sleep.

Shortly after chatting with coltss, I heard a voice behind me say "BS".
    I turned around and lo and behold it was Jake B from this forum too !!!!!!
    Jake and I crossed paths a few weeks ago but we didn't get a chance to chat or introduce ourselves.
    Jake, it was a pleasure to shake your hand and finally meet you.
    And, that was a very class act to walk over and out in the water to where I was fishing and introduce yourself !!!!!

And, my pal that I often see out there, Carmen, was there too !!!!!
    Hey Carmen, hopefully you're lurking here !!!!!

Wow, it was almost a "Kiene's Pyramid Lake Mini-Bash" today.

The fishing for me today wasn't as good as four days ago though.
    I went 1 for 6 with 3 LDR's.
    I have to assume the "offset hook" experiment was a success as I did have the 3 LDR's and felt head shakes.
    At least I stuck 'em.
    I slogged out of the water @ 5:15 p.m. cold, but o.k. with the day.

Now, there was a "certain individual"......... (Jake B)......... that absolutely "whooped azz" on the fish today and even left early.
    Jake......... after you left, the beach was buzzing about how many fish you nailed today.
    I'd say you've got it dialed in pretty good !!!!!!!!!!!
    I guess I'll to have to net some fish for you next time and steal......err, umm........ carefully remove your fly from the fish for you !!!!!!!!!

So, here it is again, another Pyramid Report from the almost "Kiene's Pyramid Lake Mini-Bash"

Bob
    Last edited by BS; 01-08-2019 at 10:20 PM.

Festival like atmosphere up there. I suggest the name Burning Ladder. I cut a fish out of plywood several years ago, painted it like a cutthroat, burned it in a campfire up there and called it Burning Fish. It was nice to be able to say I had created my own festival but sadly it did not catch on.

Thanks Bob......

That is a really inspiring post that made me think of going to Pyramid many years ago.

Maybe the Kiene's forum members should plan a little outing for one of the weekends?

I will be in Florida getting warm in flip flops and shorts plus at 73 I am not as exited about winter Steelhead or

Pyramid Lake as I use to be.

I am excited about the new old strain of Cutthroat up there now.

It is now one of the top winter fly fishing destinations in the West.

Fly fishing at Pyramid Lake has evolved so much in the past 50 years.

Back then there were no ladders and everyone just had on waders with all the clothes you could get together.

Nothing was breathable so lots of moisture in a long day.

Back then we had cotton or wool long underwear and socks.

When the neoprene boot foot waders came along it was pretty neat.

Most used a 9' #9 line 2 piece fiberglass fly rod with a shooting head system.

We use 25' of lead core line for a really fast sinking head and mono shooting line.

Most fished a big shaggy dark Wooly Worm and something lighter colored and smaller.

Our local fly club, the California Fly Fishers Unlimited, founded by a dozen or more from the Greatest Generation had

their annual outing to Pyramid every winter. Joe Shirshac and Chuck Campana are the only 2 left now.

Sacramento City Firefighter Joe Shirshac had a nice big travel trailer he would park right on the lake with hot coffee and

chili beans for the troops. We made some good memories up there of fishing, BSing and food.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    I suggest the name Burning Ladder.
    Ha, Ha, Ha,..................!!!
    Burning Ladder........................
    I like it ................................

I'm not so sure about doing psychedelics and and riding around on a motorcycle naked this time of the year though.........

Thanks John !!!

Still looking for the 10 lb 'er for my stocking that Santa forgot to bring me.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Thanks Bob......

That is a really inspiring post that made me think of going to Pyramid many years ago.

Maybe the Kiene's forum members should plan a little outing for one of the weekends?

I will be in Florida getting warm in flip flops and shorts plus at 73 I am not as exited about winter Steelhead or

Pyramid Lake as I use to be.

I am excited about the new old strain of Cutthroat up there now.

It is now one of the top winter fly fishing destinations in the West.

Fly fishing at Pyramid Lake has evolved so much in the past 50 years.

Back then there were no ladders and everyone just had on waders with all the clothes you could get together.

Nothing was breathable so lots of moisture in a long day.

Back then we had cotton or wool long underwear and socks.

When the neoprene boot foot waders came along it was pretty neat.

Most used a 9' #9 line 2 piece fiberglass fly rod with a shooting head system.

We use 25' of lead core line for a really fast sinking head and mono shooting line.

Most fished a big shaggy dark Wooly Worm and something lighter colored and smaller.

Our local fly club, the California Fly Fishers Unlimited, founded by a dozen or more from the Greatest Generation had

their annual outing to Pyramid every winter. Joe Shirshac and Chuck Campana are the only 2 left now.

Sacramento City Firefighter Joe Shirshac had a nice big travel trailer he would park right on the lake with hot coffee and

chili beans for the troops. We made some good memories up there of fishing, BSing and food.

So Bill,

Are you a permanent full-time Florida non-traveling resident now ???
    The reason I ask is, could I/we maybe persuade you to make another trip to Pyramid ??

I'm sure we could come up with at least a "comfy ladder" to keep your "flip flop laden feet" and "shorts laden legs" warm enough for a day or two of fishing......... ala....... "BURNING LADDER" ?????

Could it be in the cards for you ?????

Bob
    Last edited by BS; 01-10-2019 at 06:22 PM.