Thread: Northern California Fishing Report

Default Northern California Fishing Report

Hey Everyone,

My name is Garrett Smith and I am currently working with AC Fly Fishing. You guys may remember me from 8-10 years ago, I used to go by the name Guppy and could often be seen running around the American River fishing for whatever was running. Now my playgrounds has expanded and I spend a lot of time in the Northern part of the state, but I still love getting out on the American when I can.

Per Bill's permission, I wanted to give you guys an update of the fishing that has been going on in Northern California.

We’re currently getting a lot of precipitation in the North State. Over an inch projected for the weekend and it will be accompanied by gnarly winds. The extended forecast is showing the rain to continue for some time.. Rain is good and we most certainly need it but that puts us out of the game for chasing winter steelhead for a bit. Prior to these storms, we had experienced some good Winter Steelhead fishing on both our coastal and inland steelhead rivers. This can be the time of year to run into some truly special fish. We will be back out on the hunt when conditions shape back up.

In the meantime we will be staying on the good trout fishing that’s been happening on the Lower Sac. The window isn’t necessarily an all day affair but for a few hours in the late morning and early afternoon, you can expect a good flurry of feeding from these wild trout. Baetis, PMD's and BWO's have been the main snack choices. If you get a good BWO hatch in the afternoon, you may even have the chance to throw the dry fly. We see some of the biggest fish of the river show up in the winter months.

Tight Lines Everyone!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31329346107_5ee45d569f_o (1).jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	14564   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44459628170_c9acd39d24_o (1).jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	14565   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3888.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	14563  

Way to go Garrett, several of us have been wondering whatever became of you. Great to see you doing what you love. Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Hi Guppy

So good to see you are grown up and doing well.

You were really active and contributed a lot back in your youth here on our BB.

Thanks for the good fishing reports......

Looks like you are in a good Nor Cal guide group.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........