Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Frameless pontoons - any experience ?

I have both framed and frameless pontoons (both are Scaddens). Frameless pros: Faster and easier setup and transportation. Much lighter so easier to hand launch/carry. Frameless con's: Oars are pin mounted to the tubes and they snap off easier and are harder to row due to less leverage and flex with oars. Framed pro's: More stable, track better, and row better. Safer in whitewater. Framed con's: Pain to transport and take 2X as long to set up. If I'm doing whitewater I will usually take the framed boat since it's safer and easier to row. If I'm not doing whitewater, I will usually take the frameless boat since it sets up easier and faster and is lighter to carry. As usual, YMMV!

Thanks a lot bob. What frameless scadden do you have?

Steve,
    Myself and a couple of buddies have Scadden's (can't remember..outcast of Renegade)...its the 11' model. I have floated the Klamath above Copco Lake, the Stan and small lakes. Love my Scadden. Easy to row in my estimation...plenty of room for stuff and a pretty good sized deck behind the seat. I have found it to be very comfortable and stable, even in some pretty hairy water. Turns on a dime with little effort...tracks reasonably well. The biggest selling point for me is ease of access/egress when floating down river. It does catch some wind on lakes, but overall an excellent product. Dave is kinda a trip...he likes to okey-doke you but will deal at shows.

Quote Originally Posted by steveg137 View Post
    Thanks a lot bob. What frameless scadden do you have?
    Outlaw Renegade for frameless. McKenzie Drifter for framed. I also have a Watermaster and Water Strider, both frameless rafts. A word of caution about Scadden's whitewater ratings for his products. There is no way in $#ll (you know where!) I'd take a frameless Scadden down Class 5 whitewater as he claims you can!!!!

Bob

Wow I thought my 2nd potential pontoon and Pram was pushing things but you have lots bases covered !
    Ok if I share your list with my wife
    I only plan on still and light river action, I'm not rated for any whitewater
    Steve

Steve - I have a Renegade. I use it mostly for still water. Have the anchor set up, but rarely use it except for Baum lake which has current or a windy day. Mostly I like to be able to move to keep casting to new water. Because I sometimes find that I have to carry my fully rigged boat, inc. rods, fins, etc. some distance from the parking/camping area to the water, boat weight becomes a consideration. Keep that in mind. I have used my boat in class 1 and class 2 water without worry and don't worry when pulling it up on rocks on the shore.
    Gregg

Quote Originally Posted by steveg137 View Post
    Bob

Wow I thought my 2nd potential pontoon and Pram was pushing things but you have lots bases covered !
    Ok if I share your list with my wife
    I only plan on still and light river action, I'm not rated for any whitewater
    Steve
    I won't tell you how many boats/floaty things I have to play with!!!! Lets just say I've got no more room at mine or my son's house for any more boats/floaty things!
    If your plan is stillwater and light river use only without whitewater, no doubt about it, I'd go frameless. IMNSHO, That's an easy no brainer decision!

You are a shining light for those of us that can't save ourselves Bob!

Seriously, appreciate the help.

I like to anchor up on still water and drift vs kicking so will look for frameless that best suits that with anchor option.

Quote Originally Posted by gwris View Post
    Steve - I have a Renegade. I use it mostly for still water. Have the anchor set up, but rarely use it except for Baum lake which has current or a windy day. Mostly I like to be able to move to keep casting to new water. Because I sometimes find that I have to carry my fully rigged boat, inc. rods, fins, etc. some distance from the parking/camping area to the water, boat weight becomes a consideration. Keep that in mind. I have used my boat in class 1 and class 2 water without worry and don't worry when pulling it up on rocks on the shore.
    Gregg
    I have used a Creek Company classic pontoon and liked it but the setup and takedown was about 30 minutes which was painful. I bought a second hand Scadden Predator and I LOVE IT. It is inbelievably light - 13lbs unladen. This makes a huge difference when you need to walk it to and from launch. I would buy it again in a heartbeat. Dave has come out with a newer version that has a more rigid seat, comes with a motor mount, and an innovative removable skag that allows straighter tracking when on still waters. I have taken my pontoon down the Yuba and the Lower Sac and it’s fabulous in 2+ whitewater. Dave is a notorious salesman so I would take his pitch with a grain of salt but he is a real innovator in this space.

Regards, Dan

Got it , thanks !