Thread: Frameless pontoons - any experience ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Frameless pontoons - any experience ?

Any folks out there using / used frameless pontoon?

Like look of outcast models especially he larger model, think it’s stealth pro.

Looks like they take motor and anchor mounts. Doubt they drift or track well but I’ve read positive reports.

Anyone own one ?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by steveg137 View Post
    Any folks out there using / used frameless pontoon?

Like look of outcast models especially he larger model, think it’s stealth pro.

Looks like they take motor and anchor mounts. Doubt they drift or track well but I’ve read positive reports.

Anyone own one ?

Steve
    I have the Outcast Scout. Overall, I like it. It's comfortable, keeps my gear in the back dry (unlike my float tube), and rows/ tracks pretty well. I do have to take my Fishing Buddy fish finder out of the water to row, which is a minor nuisance. The bladder sprung a leak and Outcast immediately sent a replacement under the five year warranty which was great. For a quick / short trip I like the float tube, for a longer day or when I need to cover more water it's hard to beat the pontoon. Main downside for me is that it won't fit in the back of my SUV fully inflated. I believe the Stealth Pro is 8' long vs 7' for my Scout, and it has a more durable urethane bladder vs. the vinyl one in the Scout. It also sells $1,000, full retail, as I recall, I paid $525 for my Scout on sale.

Tom

Super helpful Tom
    I do more rowing than kicking due to dodgy knee which is another plus for larger model.
    I hear you on not fitting is suv though.
    At least can partially deflate i guess.

Thanks again

I love my Scadden boat. Far more durably built than the Outcast. Would handle some serious whitewater if I were a better oarsman. He'll likely be at the ISE show in January and some good deals to be had during show season.

That said, dealing with Dave Scadden has been challenging for some folks.

I own two: A first gen Creek Co Voyager ( a boat I wouldn't recommend) and the Scout that TPO mentions. The Scout is a good boat for the money, has a fully adjustable seat and has quite a bit of cargo space for a frameless.

It's also a two chamber design and has the Scotty accessory bases installed. However, the pin thru the oars design helps keep the cost down but is not ideal for generating lots of leverage in moving water.

I've never owned but have drifted in a Scadden.

IMO none of the frameless boats I have experience with track nearly as well as a framed boat, but they don't track so poorly that it's a deal breaker for me. What they don't do well at all is gain upstream real estate. Expect to be pulling hard for 10-15 minutes to gain the same upstream distance you could cover in ~ 5 minutes with a framed boat.

I've personally never popped one while drifting nor do I know of anyone that has, but so much more of the boat surface in is contact with the water that it is scary drifting over every alluvial for the first time each season where the boat is kissing/contacting the bottom frequently. You've definitely got to be much more diligent in watching for stickups and structure that can damage the boat.

The only reason I went frameless is that they fold up compact enough to store 2 boats in the back seat of a passenger car. If you've got the space to haul a framed boat(s) I think I'd go that route. The ease of hauling the boats is really the only real advantage I can see in going frameless.

Makes a lot of sense.
    I was only considering it for ease of set up vs my frameless model as it’s a pain at end of each session, also envisage having a larger truck at some point to throw it in but that’s another topic for another day or conversation with my wife

2x Woodman. My Scadden is tough enough that I don't worry too much about running over rocks. No frame is lovely, saves weight and setup time. I really appreciate being able to row (easy to row if you blow it up stiff because not much pontoon in in the water) and then kick to position myself for casting while having my hands free.
    Gregg

Hey Gregg, what model of scadden do you have ? Do you use it on Stillwater and with an anchor?

What model do you have ? I have the outlaw x, really like it. Handled lower sac and Yuba very well. Had a few issues with valves but he sent me replacements free of charge.