Thread: Lower Yuba 1/4

Default Lower Yuba 1/4

I fished the Yuba above the bridge yesterday. It was the first time in several years that I parked at the bridge and hoofed up . . . what a difference from years prior! You are able to cross the river in a couple of spots, but any access above the UC property requires some Class V Billygoat hiking these days.

I would say that the Yuba is well on it's way to returning to form. The was a nice PMD hatch for a couple of hours mid-day. The PMD's hatching are both a yellow/ orange color and the pink color. For whatever reason, the fish are keyed in on, and just about only eating the pink PMD's. If you want to make your day more rewarding, be sure to bring some of these with you. It was a good mid-day rise, with fish of all sizes showing themselves.

I did get a couple on a baetis nymph in the morning before the hatch as well. As you can surmise, with the decent fishing, the people are beginning to appear as well. I counted 12 people fishing between the bridge and the Foundation hole. The number of people fishing on the weekend could be interesting . . .

Andy Guibord at Kiene's Fly Shop fished the Lower Yuba River for a long time some years ago and learned it well.

He usually guides during the weekend and works at Kiene's Fly Shop on the weekends.

If you need help with pick some good flies for the Lower Yuba I would go by the shop on Sat/Sun to see Andy.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Andy is definitely keyed in. I went to the shop and he put me onto several new patterns last year that all got action.

Got out the other day for a few hours. Interesting to see the clarity still very "off color" well after any precipitation. It was still greenish w/ about 2.5 feet Viz near bridge. Very sparse mayfly hatch. Almost a balmy day. Skwala are out and plentiful but I didn't see any heads. I would say "FAIR" conditions with light/moderate crowds. Should be blown out bad for awhile after these systems roll thru. Snowpack looking solid this year.

Might be a good time to swing a small leech or sculpin or salmon smolt?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

It fished pretty well yesterday. Water still a bit murky, I was told the water in Englebright is still the same way. Good mid-day hatch of PMD's. Fish would eat PMD, SKwala and BWO. I see it as just a teaser before this next blowout.

I threw an articulated streamer in white ( fry or minnow) and olive (sculpin) yesterday for about an hour with 0 activity.

Bob

Yuba fish will eat streamers but they like small ones...size 6-10...