Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: River Access

Quote Originally Posted by noyo55 View Post
    On the Mattole there are 4 basic drifts. The first is at Honeydew across ffrom the store. The take out is just downstream from the Mattole High School serviced by a road that crosses the river.This is also the put in for the second drift which terminates at the County Park, Phillip a Way Park. Put in here also, the drift terminates at the town of Petrolia, the "Willow Run"about 1/2 mile above the Petrolia Bridge or the mouth of the North Fork which is about a mile down stream. Last drift starts at either Petrolia or the North Fork and ends at the boundary at the top of the lagoon.I don't remember the side road names as I have been fishing here since 1956 and just know where everything is.
    Powerful stuff noyo55...........thanks.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by noyo55 View Post
    On the Mattole there are 4 basic drifts. The first is at Honeydew across ffrom the store. The take out is just downstream from the Mattole High School serviced by a road that crosses the river.This is also the put in for the second drift which terminates at the County Park, Phillip a Way Park. Put in here also, the drift terminates at the town of Petrolia, the "Willow Run"about 1/2 mile above the Petrolia Bridge or the mouth of the North Fork which is about a mile down stream. Last drift starts at either Petrolia or the North Fork and ends at the boundary at the top of the lagoon.I don't remember the side road names as I have been fishing here since 1956 and just know where everything is.

Ive really wanted to try out the mattole for a while now but I don't have a boat. Wade access looks pretty sparse. Any suggestion of areas with good wade access? It looks decent closer to the mouth, but I'd guess my timing would have to be perfect for that. Any decent access points upstream? Ive got a day off in a few weeks and was just going to pray it looks good then.

I have wade fished up in honeydew and down off lighthouse road in the lower river,and that road in petrolia that goes up above that bridge there. The name escapes me. There are maps ,a stream time map exists for the mattole.

There is very limited walk/wade access on the Mattole. There are a few spots though, and the Streamtime map shows them. Most of those are well known and have a lot of fishing pressure. Most of the Mattole is private property and since the main economic activity up there is growing dope, they don't take to kindly to strangers trespassing on their land. I'm lucky, a friend has riverfront property that I can launch from, and floating is the best way to access it. I've never had a problem while floating, but I don't stop and fish from the bank any place I see irrigation pipes going to the river.
    Last edited by Bob Laskodi; 02-04-2019 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by avidangler View Post
    I have wade fished up in honeydew and down off lighthouse road in the lower river,and that road in petrolia that goes up above that bridge there. The name escapes me. There are maps ,a stream time map exists for the mattole.
    Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. Yea it looked pretty tough for wading. I have the stream time map somewhere I just wanted to get the feel about the access from someone thats been there. I was planning to mainly fish the eel but wanted to stop by for a bit.

Thanks again for the info,
    Edward

I fished around Richardson this morning. Green with about 2' vis. Pushy. Maybe a little higher than ideal for swinging flies. The rain was just getting going so I imagine blown by end of weekend. There is a gully dumping mud into the S Fork Eel just above Standish-Hickey so it's muddy from there down a couple miles. The guide I was with yesterday said the Mattole is one of the first rivers to blow out and one of the last to clear. Not trying to discourage you, just need a break in the weather. Good luck.
    Last edited by Trouter925; 02-09-2019 at 06:10 PM.