Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Orleans Redfish guide rec?

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Sorry to hear you got blown out, Chubb. I've been reading this year has been particularily tough in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by DLJeff View Post
    Sorry to hear you got blown out, Chubb. I've been reading this year has been particularily tough in that regard.
    This winter has been brutally tough. Never seen so much fog in my life. Today is the first day in over a week where we had some sun. So it blows 20+ instead. And lately 20+ has been routine. Sucks.

We had a group out to Nola the last week in January. The temps were a balmy 73º on our first day in town. The temp dropped 20-25º the following day. Add the wind in the evening and there were not too many folks running around in the evenings before the playoff game in New Orleans. The temps never went above the mid 50's on the days we did fish. Mid week we were blown out due to wind. The days we did fish were productive days with fish to 24 lbs. Have to admit that one day we started off around 28-29º. On the run out, my eyes hurt from the wind chill factor. We saw fish every day and had opportunities to cast to them. When we could cast to them, we had fish to the boat. Water clarity did not help much with ovrehead clouds. Our guides did attempt to run out to cloudless areas and the visibility issues went away. I was happy with the results on the days we fished.

The Polar Vortex was on the news nightly. We only wondered how far South it was going to be an influence. We book five days hoping to fish four. Weather is a factor that we have no control of. Still, we take our chances. That said, I am going back to Texas where the sight fishing appears to be better inside the Padre Islands. Of course the fish size is smaller as well. It boils down to expectations and results. If you are trying to do it all and just sneak off one day, you limit your results.