Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many days, what species, and where did you fish this year?

What a great thread, and great excuse to count our blessings!

As of today (1/1/19), after 15 years I no longer have ID, WA and OR as part of my sales territory. 2018 gave me:
    The best blueback spring on the American in several years
    Some great sea run cutthroat afternoons on Puget Sound
    A fantastic back country brookie / rainbow / golden trip with my younger son
    An epic 50 mile backcountry golden trout trip en route to Mt Whitney with my older son
    Another 0‘fer on dry fly steel on the North Umpqua
    Three epic evenings on the Owyhee, and a slow morning that included two up close encounters with bobcats that made it special
    The best 1/2 pounder fall on the American in several years
    A memorable morning with Puget Sound chums
    A great Thanksgiving trip swinging the Trinity
    A gorgeous 9 lb wild buck swung on the Mad last week during a very slow stretch
    And all the fishless days I’m choosing not to mention, Facebook style

And last, a 2109 that will be spent closer to home, learning coastal steelhead streams, surf perch, Nevada fisheries, and maybe even the one in my own backyard.

And, of course, living vicariously through all the posts here on the places I have yet to see.

Happy New Year all!

Only got out about 40 days in 2018, but did get to fish:

1. 4 rivers and 1 lake in MT
    2. 3 rivers in WY
    3. Lower Sac twice
    4. Upper Sac twice
    5. Truckee River
    6. Putah Creek a few times
    7. Klamath for steel
    8 SF Bay for Halibut/Stripers
    9. Salmon out of the Gate
    10. Local farm ponds
    11. Berryessa a few times

Hoping for more in 2019...Happy New Year!

Probably 25-30 days.

Upper Sacramento
    Lower Sacramento
    Yuba
    Putah Creek
    Hot Creek
    Lower Owens
    Parker Pass Creek
    East Carson
    McCloud
    Hat Creek
    Fall River
    Fall River (Oregon)
    Stanislaus
    Hetch Hetchy
    Dana Fork/Tuolumne
    Catalina Island

Had a few good trips this year and one cancelled because of fire. My daughter is really starting to get the hang of fly fishing so this year we hit the east side for a few days and she caught her first brown trout in Hot Creek and her first brookies in the Dana fork.

Best day ever was on our way to drop her at Kids Trout Camp up in Antelope Creek. Stayed in the Mercantile in McCloud, fished the McCloud in the morning and got some nice fish there. Hit Hat Creek at lunchtime and fished the riffle and got a few more there, and completely unplanned while we were having dinner in Fall River Mills, Michelle at Clearwater Lodge calls and hooked us up with one of her guides who was going out on the Fall to fish the hex hatch. We didn't go 3 for 3 as the Fall River trout were not buying our hexagenia imitations...but she has a blast watching the huge splashy refusals. Not a bad day for an 11 year old.

Spent a few days up in Sun River Oregon too, only managed half a day on the Fall but caught my first redband trout.

Had my annual birthday present from Mrs Loblaw a few days at Clearwater and had an awesome day on the Fall, best day ever. Had probably 15 fish in the boat, between the put in and the red barn, all in the 12-18 inch range, and I missed 100 more due to a shaky hand hangover. Went to the springs in the afternoon and while much slower, had two 20 inch fish to the boat and one broke me off that had my guide swearing like a dockworker.

Spent a week on Catalina Island with the extended family and caught a bunch of nice Calico bass.

Unfortunately our overnight horsepack trip out of Kennedy Meadows was cancelled as the fire broke out the day we were supposed to check in. Need to get that on the books for this summer.

I want to check out this steelhead thing in 2019.
    Last edited by Bob Loblaw; 01-02-2019 at 04:21 PM.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

How was the Mercantile? Looks like a good year. Fished near Kennedy a long time ago...great country.

Loved The Mercantile. Got a cool attic room overlooking the main street. Great bar and restaurant. Very reasonably priced too.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.